2005 cavalier defrost clicking

Richard Steinberg

Asked by Nov 07, 2012 at 05:56 AM about the 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier LS

defrost doesn't work clicks when cold

does the heater work if you set in to 'floor' or 'dash"? Do you get hot air from there or are you talking windshield only? Or are we on the same page at all? Back window defroster? And where is clicking coming from? Get back to me (us) and maybe we can figure this out

Richard Steinberg

Noise comes from the right front (passenger side) dash. I changed blower assy. I didn't see anything inside duct work. When it is cold in the a.m. it will click till it gets warm. Heat comes out other places but not the defrost. It starts working after warm. Clicking noise is consistant and doesn't change with fan speed. Cables seem to be working with the sound of vent doors. I think it is possibly a relay for a/c,but it is loud for a relay. Thanks Rick

Rick man you're a step ahead of me already, that's where I was going. Sorry I was no help maybe somebody that knows more than I do can

Richard Steinberg

Any ideas on this one?

My car does the exact same thing and has been for the past 3 years except everything still works fine, its just a loud noise. I am not sure the exact name but it is "something actuator" . It is a $500 fix and because it still works fine and is only a noise I have not fixed it. My car used to only do it when it was cold out but now it does it all the time, does not matter the temperature. If you turn the blower assay all the way to the left the noise should stop or at least does in mine

It's called the blend door actuator, I was told by a mechanic you have to remove whole dash to repair but other people state you can get to it under the dash. It's located on the passenger side under duct work. Part only costs about $60, just surf the web you can usually locate a video for replacement. Good luck. By the way my car does the same thing, going to try to get my friend to fix.