My new battery discharges if I do not start the car for two weeks. Is this a common problem with a 2002 solara?

Asked by Dec 29, 2014 at 06:28 PM about the 2002 Toyota Camry Solara SLE Convertible

I have replaced the battery twice in the last six months.   If I drive the car daily, I do not
have an issue.   If the car sits for longer than two weeks, the battery is dead.   It starts
with a jump.

35,375

It would seem then your alternator is working fine, keeping the battery charged, so long as you drive it regularly. But if you leave it sit for a while, the battery is drained. What you have is a parasitic drain on the battery while it is off. You need to troubleshoot what is causing that drain. One way to do that is with a test light or digital volt meter - follow the steps here: http://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain - my guess is since it can go two weeks before the battery dies, it's not a major drain (i.e., a motor continues to run with the car off) but something small, like a light. Good luck.

115

Hello, it is my opinion that you must have a short somewhere. Or, perhaps you have a trunk light or another accessory that is either not turning off, or will spontaneously turn on. I know it sounds a little silly, but I have seen that happen. It may be a good idea to go to your auto parts store and they will hook up a codeing machine for free and it may tell you what is going on..

78,125

This can actually be considered normal. I have 2 cars that I don't use on a regular basis and when I drive then park them I always disconnect the negative (-) battery cable as per the owner's manual. I have installed a quick disconnect switch between the battery and the battery cable so I can just switch it off when I park. Takes about 10 seconds. HTH. -Jim

If I charge my battery on my 1999 Toyota solara in 4 hours the battery is drained I put a test light on the battery cable and it shows it on then I mess with the key switch and it's goes off ?

10

AAA told me that even though the headlights are not on i.e. the car is shut off, if the headlights switch is on automatic it will slowly drain the battery in two weeks. Solution: turn the headlights to off if you are not using the car. Kevin