Oil leak and antifreeze leak

10

Asked by May 29, 2015 at 05:03 AM about the 2001 Toyota Camry Solara SE

Hello, everyone. I'm a frustrated single mom ( only because of my car, lol )who has a
2001 Toyota Solara 4 cyl  at 214,000 miles. Janurary or February of this year 2015 my
TBelt and WPump went out after replacing it about a little under 2 yrs ago. First mistake
was taking it back to the shop who did the repairs the first time.

So, my Solara goes back to the same shop, I was told due to my tensioners is what
caused my TBelt and WPump to go out again. Another 450$ I pay and while so called
fixing my car I was told I had a bad upper radiator hose. They found some drips around
the area the hose is connecting  to going towards engine. General area around where the
thermostat sensor is. I said fine fix it because they weren't going to charge me labor.

After all said is done and my piggy bank is empty. Three months into having my car back.
Surprise, surprise, there is oil spitting out all over my new TBelt, and, down in the erea
where a tech would poor new oil ( around a big white cap) as well as coolant leaking very
heavily right under the upper radiator hose? There is another hose right under the upper
radiator hose. Right in that area going away from the radiator itself. At the end of that
hose that's where my antifreeze leak is and its green color. I can't keep antifreeze in my
reserve tank, but there is antifreeze in the radiator. I also hear gurgling sounds while I
drive coming from engine. The sound seems like its closest to the dash area.

How , I discovered the leaks was after I had an oil change and brakes done two different
shops, which was about a week ago. First oil change, funny thing is where I took my car
to get my oil change they didn't tell me anything about it. I was told I needed a new front
dim light , air filter, front brakes, and, tires. Well after driving my car a day or so,  I smelt
oil burning. I figured it's just probably because I just had my oil changed and maybe
some oil made contact with my engine. I think nothing about it.  Second week comes
then I take my car in to get my front brakes down, different shop. Then that's when the
mechanic called me back to show me all the damage. I was at aww!

I know my car is old and car needs maintance after a while, I understand that. Is it just
my luck that new occurances are happening, which are causing my new work to fail. Or
do u feel it's a possibility do to lack of training on from mechanic.

Any advice please? I'm a google fanatic now trying to understand my engine and its
parts. Thank you to each and everyone who can fill my ear with knowledge. I look
forward to hearing  from u.

63,185

It sounds like the people working on your car aren't very good mechanics. Timing belts should be changed every 60,000 miles or 6 years. Whichever comes first. Since they're right there the water pump should be changed then as well. This saves labor cost and a possible headache down the road. Start taking your car to a shop that specializes in imports. That's going to be your best bet. Regular shops and gas station type garages aren't going to be able to effectively fix your Toyota. My Nephew learned that lesson the hard way with his '98 BMW 528i. Everything you describe sounds to me like very poor workmanship. Find a good import shop and become a regular customer. Get to know them and start building a relationship between you and them and your car and them. Another trick that my Sister uses is "My Husband Said..........". Her Husband is a chef and knows absolutely nothing about a car. But her theory is that since she's a woman the shop may not take her seriously. But if her Husband supposedly says it then she seems to get better service. I guess, unfortunately that can be true sometimes. HTH. -Jim

check the thermostat/

10

I did and replaced that too.

Im just having a issue myself i just filled my box with anti freeze a few days ago now its empty and in rain or moist weather my lower part of the front window fogs bad