Timing Belt Replacement

70

Asked by Jan 26, 2011 at 04:02 PM about the 2000 Toyota Camry Solara SLE Convertible

I'm approaching 90,000 miles and time to have the timing belt replaced.  I have had several quotes anywhere from $375.00 to $1000.00.  Some automatically include replacing the water pump at the sam time and others trhat say only if they find itr needs to be replaced.  The Toyota Dealer is about in the middle and is one of the quotes that said they don't automatically replace the pump.  I liked some input from anyone that has gone through this experience.

11,525

The water pump rides on the timing belt for drive force. When you install the new timing belt - why not, you are in there ( minimal labor to do it ) The new timing belt job may cause the old water pump to fail after the belt job being done - why - With the new belt you should have the timing belt tensioner replaced (Hydraulic Piston) this will put extra pressure on the old water pump bearing and may cause it to fail. If the water pump fails and leaks coolant on the new belt the new belt is no good, if the timing belt comes off because of the water pump seizing up you may damage your engine. Why take the chance.

70

Thanks for the insightfull information. Everything you said makes a lot of sense and is exactly what one of the service companies explained to me when I questioned why their quote was so much higher that the others. I'm going to take your advice and do the whole thing. I plan on keeping the car for another 100k miles anyway. It will probably be the last convertible i own.

160

I have a 2000 4 cyl Solara. I replaced the timing belt in 2009 at 90,000 miles. I did not replace the water pump. Two days ago, my water pump went out, the timing belt slipped, and it caused major engine damage. The repair estimate for all is $3,400. Based on my experience, I'd replace the water pump if replacing the timing belt.

3,300

@a7nx...I believe the 4 cylinder in your car is a non-interference engine, meaning the valves will not contact the pistons if the timing belt fails. Maybe you should get a second opinion. Just replacing the belt and pump should be all thats required.

160

Michael, thank you. The repair shop said it was interference. So, he did a "leak down" test and said I had bent valves. Sounds like I need to get that second opinion.

3,300

taken from a solara forum: 5SFE (4cyl 99-01) - Belt, non-interference 2AZFE (4cyl 02-now) - Chain, non-interference 1MZFE (V6 99-03) - Belt, non-interference 3MZFE (V6 04-now) - Belt, interference. 3MZs the only one you need to watch out for...3MZ guys, get your belts changed on time Under your hood is a sticker called the vehicle emissions control info label. it will have your engine type on it. Hope its non interference.

160

I hope so too. Of course that means the repair shop is trying to pull the wool over my eyes.

3,300

Well according to this info, all 4 cylinders in the solara are non interference, be they belt or chain driven. So you should be in the clear. Just take it to a different shop. Seems this one isnt honest. Even if they replaced the entire engine, they would likely use a junkyard replacement, charge your for a rebuild plus misc parts. and labor. $3400 is way out of line. Im pretty sure youre looking at another timing belt, which with a pump and tensioner should be around $700. That job really only takes 4-5 hours for a halfway decent tech. I forget what the DMV time on it is...probably close to 8 hours charged time.

60

Have 01 solara I'm my rack now, water pump went bad,took out timming belt. Been a tech for 38 years. I always replace water pump when replacing timming belt. Cost for belt pump n antifreeze 84$. Labor 250$

30

Here's my two cents. Had my timing belt/water pump on my 02 Solara replaced yesterday because it has 114,000 miles. It was my decision, basically because I thought it was time. The old belt looked new and may have gone on for another 100,000. I had a very competent and trustworthy group do the work.

40

I just had the timing belt break at 85,000 miles on my 2006 solara. Engine is ruined as it's a interference engine. I called Toyota since they don't even recommend changing them until 90,000 miles. Their response was basically to bad - we aren't doing anything. Will never buy a Toyota again.

90

I just replaced my timing belt on 2000 solara sle v6 yesterday. bought it with 70,000 miles Put off this dreaded maintenance...planned on trading it off..car would squeal at times.. (guessed water pump) i was right ..it finally overheated.. parts 250.00 with new alt and ps belts and 2 jugs anti freeze..at Napa with a 10% discount. Job took about 6 hrs. Easier than a 4 cylinder camry in my opinion. water pump seized tight! Belt frayed on edge but still ok.i think this was all original parts. Very pleased with Toyota. I still have never changed the spark plugs lol..no check engine lights..uses no oil..starting to seap oil at front valve cover .. runs like a top. Unbelievable car.. fast, smooth, and Reliable...buy a full timing belt kit with tensioner and water pump, is my advice.

90

Forgot to mention..my Solara has 215,815 miles on it now and runs like a top after the new timing parts and water pump .. so Toyota made some good parts if they lasted 215 thousand miles before wearing out. Hopefully my new parts will make it 60,000 at least...??

35

My car is an old 91 celica with the 5sfe. I bought it with 120k miles and replaced the timing belt then 'cause I didn't have any records and wanted to be safe. Now it has 280k miles and I'm finally getting around to the timing belt again, but only because it's going through oil and I'm hoping that it's a leak instead of consumption. Will put all the new seals (cam/crank/oil pump) and gaskets (oil pump/thermostat) along with the new timing belt/drive belt/ps belt. Found an ASE mechanic on craigslist doing work on the side who quoted me $250 labor for the above. Bought the complete kit, extra belts, and thermostate+gasket from rockauto and ebay for about $90 with shipping. Curious to see how much longer this little engine that could will go. I call it my gomobile. Better than the energizer bunny.

10

Had timing belt, water pump on 2005 solara at 100,00 miles by star toyota great job one day service $725 turn key.

20

Looking at a 99 Solara (v6) w/219k miles. Since I don't have any service history, I'm factoring in the timing belt should be replaced. Or...do the label anything anywhere when a belt is changed?

10

I found a metal plate with when the timing belt was changed written on it under the hood. Kind of near where the hood latch is. Also it was on car fax report on this particular vehicle.