I got a new battery for my Camry. I understand that this resets the ECU and it will take a little while for it to reprogram itself, but I may have an alternator issue too.

Asked by Apr 22, 2016 at 07:10 PM about the 2005 Toyota Camry LE

When I start my car, by jumping it, the idle speed is too low, so the engine shuts off if I am off the throttle for even a second.  It's a manual, so it's tricky (if not impossible) to get the car to a shop.  I don't want to wear out the e-brake.  Anyway, I think I might have an alternator issue as well.  I jumped it about five times trying to get it to a shop.  I kept the revs up around 2500 for a few minutes while just sitting there in neutral to try to charge the battery.  Each time I tried to drive it, and inevitably let it die out while taking my foot off the throttle to use the brakes, the battery would be completely dead when I tried to restart it.  Could this be the fault of the ECU, or is it the alternator?  I haven't noticed any alternator issues in the past.

What is the mileage on this vehicle? Why did you replace the battery? Indeed, disconnecting a battery on todays vehicles can cause some interesting issues.....and...a reset needs to be performed. When the engine is running....did you notice the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON?

What was the final FIX for this vehicle?

It has about 101,000 miles. I've had it for about 8,000 miles. I had the transmission replaced about 2,500 miles ago (because of a worn synchro) but I don't think that has anything to do with it. I replaced the battery just because it was getting old and running out of juice. The "MAINT REQ" light is on, but that just means it needs an oil change (which I will do as soon as this problem is fixed).

If I assume this stalling issue occurred AFTER the battery was replaced.....and not before the battery replacement.....then the computer on this vehicle lost memory and needs to be "relearned". However..as you suspect....a faulty Alt. can also cause these symptons. You might consider trying this. Invest in a cheap Digital Volt Ohm Meter...about $10.00-$15.00 from Wal-Mart. Set the meter to read DC volts. Attach the meter to the battery. Have some one start the vehicle and keep it running while you check DC voltage. Battery voltage should be at least 12.3v DC when the engine is NOT running. Voltage should be approximately 14v DC when the engine IS running. Less than 13.5v,,,engine running....,Alt. NG. Ultimately...if you can get the engine to run with you foot off the gas pedal....the computer MIGHT relearn by itself. Get back to us with the result.

Thanks! I've tried a couple more times. Today, I jumped it and it idled just fine. I let it idle for about 20 minutes. Then, I revved it up a few times to see if it would stall after I was off the throttle. It didn't stall. I thought it was fixed. Started to drive, and the first time I shifted to second gear, it stalled and the battery died. I will try the volt ohm meter. I don't know much about computers. Is there a way the ECU could be preventing the charging system from working?

Or a blown fuse?

Computer controlled charging system? YES. On your vehicle...I am not sure. The voltage check on the battery is the starting place for diagnosis. BTW...you might want to invest in a cheap battery charger. You never know when you might want to charge a "dead battery".

Also...part of a MANUAL RELEARN on most vehicles includes...letting the engine idle with the AC cycling on/off several times....and...shifting in and out of gear on Automatic Transmissions.

Regarding "blown fuse"....you might check the 10 amp GAUGE fuse. The 7.5 amp GAUGE fuse. The 7.5 ALT. fuse. When the engine runs....did you notice if the ALT LIGHT is ON?

Hi...did you ever find a repair for this vehicle?

I had it towed to a mechanic. He just stripped the wires a bit and installed new clamps. I can't believe the solution was so simple, and I overlooked the thing I should've checked first. Thanks for the help, though. I appreciate it.

Interesting....I wonder what/which wires were repaired?

I assume the wires you refer to are the BATTERY CABLES. Baking soda solution and a wire brush does a nice job of cleaning corrodes battery cables. Problem is...when you do this basic maintenance on today's modern cars....by disconnecting the battery...you create other issues such as Computer memory and relearn problems.