2005 losing antifreeze coolant

Asked by Sep 11, 2013 at 08:14 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Coupe

My cavalier was running hot thought it was the ac unit replace it. 3
days later overheating and refill coolant to find it completely dry
about 3 hrs later.

241,785

So where is the leak?

i dont find any leak.

241,785

Bone dry in 3hrs, you would notice it. It is either leaking or your burning it. Do you have white smoke coming out the tailpipes? Fill the car up with water or coolant. Idle for 5-10mins or before the temp gauge goes into the red and shut it down. Pop the hood and also look underneath the car. Check radiator, expansion tank, and hoses in front of car. Also hoses on the firewall. Is it leaking into the car in the footwell? Did you check your oil or transmission fluid? If the oil in your dipstick looks like a chocolate milkshake you have a bad gasket. Do you have an automatic transmission. Check for coolant in the trans fluid it means your radiator is shot. Post back with what you come up with.

ok i will check all and post back. thanks

why would there be oil build up in the air intake?

135

Losing Coolant, I agree with Tom, you have basically three place's where you coolant is going, if your intake is leaking it can get into your oil pan in which case your oil will look like milk. If it's leaking from a blown head gasket you will get water out the tail pipe. Also you heater core could be leaking, check your passenger side carpet and feel if it's wet. If you carpet is wet and smell like anti-freeze then you will have to replace the heater core. Losing that much coolant is going to be easy to find.

Thanks. I will check it out completely and report my findings.

5,700

In 3 hours you are loseing all your coolent? check your water pump and look and see if a frost plug is leaking. Can not beleive there is no puddle. could be blowen head gasket witch will leak water into your oil or the in take gaske will leak into your oil allso check the thermostat all so and a clogged radiator. That is alot of cooling fluid to lose in 3 hours. Plus does it have the aluminum head and the steel block? those were all ways a problem

5,700

All so is your radiator preasureising? and is the electict fan kicking in? had the same problem with a 1998. could not figure it out and in finally blew the engine. Best thig that happened to that car got tired of sticking money after money in tring to tracy the problem

Replaced the coolant cap and so far no more leak. I believe it may have had a defect.

My little hose outlet, connected to the radiator, on top that holds the hose to the coolant busted a little hole, on my 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier, would I have to buy a whole new radiator or could I do a quick repair? It's not the hose, it holds the hose