ABS, Brake, CEL and high RPM with low MPH

5

Asked by Aug 26, 2016 at 04:46 PM about the 2004 Toyota Camry LE V6

2004 Toyota Camry LE 3.0 VIN# 4TAB32K24U584743
First the ck engine light came on with no symptoms.
The ABS light and brake light came on and speedometer and fuel level indicator stopped working.
Code reader indicated:
 Crankshaft Sensor
 Bank 1 Sensor A
 Speed Sensor A
Looked on line and found the speed sensor HQRP Vehicle Speed Sensor VSS for Toyota Camry 1992-2004 - part number was 8877720703141.  Wrong one.  Frustration mounting.
Called dealer (Toyota parts dept) directly he advised there are two sensors one is part number 8941324010 and the other is 8941324020.
I replaced both with the cheap Ebay parts.  Lights still on and speed-o still inop.  Today my son drove it and advised me it was doing the high idle very slow speed thing.  Max five mph with 3-4k rpms.  All of the problems came up quickly with no warning.  ATF level good.  Air Filter can use R&R but not bad.  
Still no fix.  Any suggestions?

9,415

have u had any major work done on it in the past year. if so what?

5

Correction to the VIN4T1BF32K24U584743 Around 12k miles on odom.

5

Negative. No major work done in past year.

5

Holy Crap I meant to say 120k miles.

1,830

Would be helpful to know the alpha/numeric codes being displayed. Did you wright them down?

5

No unfortunately my son texted me the results less the codes.

1,830

Knowing those codes would be very helpful with the diagnosis. There might be a Factory Service Bulletin indicating a repair for the issues with this vehicle.

5

I will try to get another reading.

15,735

Buy yourself a code reader, for the cost of a couple tanks of fuel..in 2016 if you need a flashlight you need a code reader. Check out some of the Elm 327 devices or whatever.

5

PO500 and POO16

1,830

Toyota issued Technical Service Bulletins concerning BOTH the above stated codes. T-SB0212-09.........T-SB EG004-07. Might be worth a L@@K See. Good Luck.

5

Does this mean I need to take it to the dealership? Is there a way I can find out what the TSBs are for? I'm trying to avoid having to pay the dealership costs. Thanks for your guidance and help!

4,260

Unfortunately I have not been able to find the published version of the bullets in question. If you want to avoid a dealership experience....you might consider a repair shop that subscribes to Alldata...or...Mitchell on Demand. Explain you have a vehicle which is setting the above codes and you understand there may be a Service Bulletin(s) explaining the repair procedure. Then...ask if they can perform the Procedure described in the SB.

5

I took the camry to the dealership for an analysis. They could not find the problem without just changing parts out. When I drove the car there, the idle ran a little high, the speedo fluctuated to 5 mph to 0 and the transmission would not shift out of first and occasionally second gear. After about 2 miles of this, (maybe warmed up?) the transmission started shifting perfectly again but the speedo still did not work. The mechanic told me this year camry had some different speedo configs. The mechanic suggested I clean the contacts behind the panel, no contacts just pins. I cleaned the pins and plugged it back in - still no joy. arrrrggg!

4,260

Did you perhaps cite those Toyota SB indicated above to those Techs at the repair facility?

5

Yes I printed out a complete running report on everything I have to include the SBs. I gave this to the service writer. Not positive what he did with it. Somebody suggested I have the ECM flashed or reset?

4,260

Ok.....I sort of agree with "somebody"....concerning a Computer re flash. The answer to you issues with this vehicle is...I believe....in the content of those service bulletins. That content should provide to the repair person...a detailed procedure of the fix for these codes...and....the LABOR TIME involved.....and...whether or not it is covered under Warranty. Sounds like it will ultimately have to be a Toyota Dealer repair. Good Luck and keep us up to date.

4,260

duyclif....so...what's new with this vehicle?

5

I ordered a used speedo cluster from ebay. They did a reflash. It took an hour. No change in the speedo not working or the CEL. When I install the "new" speedometer cluster I will update you.

5

New used speedo cluster- NO JOY

4,260

Should I assume the replacement Speed o DID NOT fix this vehicle?

5

That would be correct. NO it did not effect the issue. Still will not shift and speedo still inop (does not work).

4,260

OK...at this point one would need a Scan Tool to check the inputs to the SpeedO......codes......and ABS. The content in those above mentioned Toyota Service Bulletins also need to be explored to see if they apply to your Make Model Year. So....it's off to a Repair Shop that has access to Factory Service Bulletins....and...has a Scan Tool which can read the Data Stream applicable to the issues with this vehicle. Otherwise....we will have to keep guessing and replacing good parts. Think about it and get back to us.

1,830

duyclif.....any ultimate fixes for these issues with this vehicle

5

Sorry it took so long... Parked it out back.

4,260

I'm still thinking speedo cluster is bad. New USED parts are not always GOOD parts. Do you have a Digital Volt Ohm Meter?

5

Again, sorry for such a long lag responding. I am thankful for all of your assistance. Yes I do have a volt meter.

4,260

dutclif.....OK give us the good news first. Vehicle Fixed?

5

I sure wished I had some better news. I have two speedo instrument clusters and a very nice Fluke multimeter if anyone knows a testing procedure/results I would certainly appreciate it. Speedometer still fluctuates between zero and 10 mph while sitting still RPMs run high and transmission shifting inconsistent.

4,260

Without a wiring diagram to indicate which wires go where at the back of that speedo cluster....we have no idea what the voltages should be at each wire. I still believe the answer to this issue is within those SB cited above. Is there an independent repair garage near you who has ALLDATA....or....Mitchell own Demand? That software will have the Factory SB and the needed wiring diagrams.

4,260

Here is another idea. Hey buddy....got 20 bucks to Spare? If you are determined to repair this vehicle now and in the future you might consider a DIY subscription on line with Alldata. This will allow you access to all the wiring diagrams and TSB for your make model year for 1 year? A good deal for anyone attempting the maintenance and repair of their own vehicle. You might consider Alldata DIY.