2004 camry le 2.4L gauges stopped working.

5

Asked by Jul 18, 2015 at 05:15 PM about the 2004 Toyota Camry LE

Also, the shift interlock is also not working (cannot shift out of park). The wipers, driver
side window switches, and a/c not working. The radio works. The airbag and the check
engine lights are on. All fuses checked are good, except fot the sunroof (which my car
does not have a sunroof). The battery and alternator was just replaced, but the alternator
is not charging the battery.What is wrong? I'm hoping it's not the ECM.

35,825

Sounds like a bad BCM. From what I've read, the 2004's had an issue with the entire fuse block on the lower left side of your dash area. That entire fuse block needs to be changed out. You will have to get a factory replacement BCM (Body Control Module). From what I've read in other forums, they are coded, which means you cannot pull one from another vehicle. Here's some portions of the article: Now all kinds of weird issues are going on. For example.....headlights are on with key off. Headlights will not work with key on. Windshield wipers run all the time. Power windows only function from master switch...the other switches will not power the windows. Radio does not work. Oil pressure light is on with key off. Blower motor will not turn off with key...it will turn off manually. AC compressor cycles on/off. I have called two Toyota dealerships and they both assured me that the BCM is not coded and should have no effect....yet the fuse block/BCM was the ONLY change made.....as soon as the battery was reconnected the car had all these problems that it did not have before. Here's the technicians answer: The BCMs are indeed coded. I just went thru three Tundra BCMs, all of which created bizzare things in the truck, such as you have described above for your Camry. Ordered a new part, issue solved. There are a couple of different BCMs out there, the difference in them being unique to the manufacturing of the vehicle in regard to options and accessories. You need the part number off of the one that worked properly until it failed. In your case, I would suggest taking apart the original BCM, and checking it internally for corrosion. Other than aftermarket systems fitted (like remote starters and security systems, that will zap the BCM), the number one cause of BCM issues is water entry (which causes corrosion, which allows the BCM circuits to crossfeed) from a water leak at the windshield, or a body seam. I have seen BCMs fail, virtually overnight. Working when the car was locked, and, the next morning, the locks were inoperative. The aftermarket keyless caused some kind of problem in the BCM. Again, a new BCM cured the problem. My advice on this issue: Replace the BCM with a new unit, and remove any additional system that may be fitted to the car that is not Toyota. Check the original BCM for internal corrosion, and rectify the cause of such before fitting the new BCM.

5

Mech friend took out BCM and checked. He said everything looks good. Could it be something else? If it's not the BCM, then what else could it be?

35,825

You can get the car to shift again by removing that tiny little panel to the left of your shifter. It's about the size of a stamp. Pry it open, and there's a button inside. Stick a screw driver in, and press the button. Now you should be able to shift it out of park. Here's a video to give you an idea.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1WayPOKJ3E As for all of your existing problems, I would still have to say it's a bad BCM. To have all these things fail at one time, it would have to be the BCM unless you had an electrical fire. Did your buddy pull each fuse from the block and stick a tester in it to see if there was 12 volts there? The fuses may look fine, but that may be because there is zero power to them. If you have a needle test light, you can easily pull a fuse and probe for power. If you find that there is power to the fuses, I would suspect the problem may be connected to the fuse box under the hood with all of your relays.