2002 Camry V6 XLE wont start or turn over

15

Asked by Aug 29, 2015 at 09:46 PM about the 2002 Toyota Camry XLE V6

Car was making a noise when driving, but it had been running completely
normal just a few hours before. I noticed it when I had left my house but it
was faint. It became louder the more I was accelerating or braking but my
drive was only 15 minutes so I didn't stop. After I made it to my destination
and was about to leave, it wouldn't start. It sounds like a belt is spinning but
nothing else. Lights worked fine and I've replaced the battery and starter
recently.

160

You say a "noise", what kind of noise?

15

It sounded like a grinding noise almost. It was coming from the driver side but couldn't see anything from looking under the hood.

When ever you have a NO START condition on a vehicle you should check the level and quality of the engine oil. Pull the engine oil dipstick and see where the oil level is. Check the quality of the oil by feeling some of it between your fingers. Look and smell the oil. Is it really dark and black? Smell the oil. Does it smell burnt? Does it smell like gasoline? If the engine oil looks OK...now it's safe to try to figure out why it will not start. The noise you describe..."belt spinning"...might be that starter motor you have recently replaced. Now we need to continue the diagnosis with equipment you would see a repair garage. The best YOU will be able to do is to have someone "jump start" your vehicle. This must be done very carefully.......or...more damage will occur. If the car starts...you probably have a Battery problem. If the vehicle will not "start".....crank over... with a "jump.....you may have a bad connection ...or...that "new".. starter motor went bad. So...try a jump start by someone who knows how to do one and get back to us.

37,505

Sounds like your starter motor did not fully disengage. The grinding noise may have been the teeth of the starter motor rubbing on the flywheel. I think that belt spinning noise is just the starter motor spinning and not engaging the flywheel now. If you're turning the key and just hearing a spinning sound and the engine is not turning over, I would say it's a definite starter issue.

Best Answer
15

It started again but still making the awful sound. I'm gonna have to get it towed to Toyota.

37,505

Did you find out what the problem was from Toyota?

15

It was a faulty starter not disengaging. They wanted to charge $495 to replace it! Glad the part was only $100 at the auto parts store.

Reelin68....nice diagnosis. What do you think of that $495.00 estimate from Toyota.?

37,505

Thanks! That's a dealer for ya! I have made the mistake of bringing my vehicle to the dealer only twice. Each time was a colossal disaster. It makes me wonder how they can stay in business.

Agreed. Much of their repair work these days is "Warranty" work...repairing all these recalls......defects....etc. I can see a $500.00 repair bill IF the flywheel teeth became damaged and had to also be replaced.

My inside inetion light not coming on and its not starting !!what could it be..

My 2002 Camry,,, inside inetion lights want come and it want start ?? What could it be ??

37,505

My first guess would be a dead battery. Have you tried a jump start yet?