My 2002 Camry SE burns and excessive amout of oil

435

Asked by Jun 26, 2013 at 03:07 PM about the 2002 Toyota Camry SE

For abt the last 30k miles my Camry has been increasingly burning oil. It also has a slight hesitation when taking of, so usually first gear and then fifth gear is I am going slightly slow. I went to Autozone and their diagnostic machine indicated that I has a loose vacuum hose. Well I did notice that my vacuum canister valve that connects to the air filter housing was broken so I replaced it and it seemed to work well for a short time. Ultimately, my biggest problem is the oil consumption.

here are your choices for crank case ventillation~...as I believe this to be the problem...the crankcase fumes are not getting sucked into the intake plenum..

DavidH25 was asking when you looked at the oil level?

Yep I was. How much is too much, how often and how much do you have to add? And smoke? Color, where if any, it comes from...tail pipe. leak on ground?

this is a '99 but the same (most likely)~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awGrZGiqs5Y

too much is "high level" mark on the stick...do not overfill as seals tend to get blown, then you'll be losing A LOT of oil~ there is a LOW level hash mark too, but when the "oil" lite on your dashboard flickers it's time to pull over to a safe spot to put in a quart or five~

1996 to 2001 were same generation

435

sorry i was MIA, took a shower and brushing my teeth! i would say I have to add every 3 days so roughly 250- 300 miles.I have been trying to check it more often to be safe...bottom line, it's always below where it should be.

435

Dave, no smoke anywhere visible, no drips/drops on the ground, and there doesnt seem to be a lot under the hood. just the occasional odor in the car.

435

so judge, you gonna guide me thru the crank case...better yet, where are you and dave located?

435

oh forgot to tell you my low oil doesnt come on till it's bone dry...what a warning. i learned from that tho! when i add, it is usually a quart low at least but i think it only takes like 3.5 qts total. it calls for 5W30 but i was told due to the burning and high mileage to use 10W15...comments?

how the fumes are getting from your plugged up pvc valve to your nose remains a mystery....pressure builds in the crankcase and really has no where to go...on my '61 olds there was a breather tube to the atmosphere...no positive crankcase...these are a new invention --60 yrs, maybe...but fumes were disbursed right there at the engine~ If my math is right the only place this pressure could go is beween the cork gasket on the valve cover and the head...it would be puffing, but have a bit of a problem with the PCV valve so blocked would not let anything through...so from your valve cover (long upside down breadpan lookin' thing) there will be a pipe that goes from the middle of that one up to the intake plenum (where the air/fuel mix goes) along the voyage (right at the beginning) is a small elbow...we suspect this thing is bad, and needs to be changed...hopefully will not be pressurizing the wrong things....as far as your fuel consumption would look at a new air filter, fuel filter and sparkplugs...timing set correctly and hope to get better mileage....there might be some trouble codes what could be extracted for a few other parts may improve efficiency such as a bad oxygen sensor or a maf sensor what detects minute amounts of nitrogen and hydrocarbon to make a comparision to set the combustion to the right level of air/fuel under the specific temperature that air/fuel will combust...the job of the ECU or ECM (if you're into modules)~

Dave is in Tehachapi....couple of hours in the mountains near Los Angeles...I'm in Clearlake (THE most poverty stricken, not beautiful people) 10,000 here is 100,000 there (in the San Francisco bay area) a gorgeous drive back to the apartment in El Cerrito (SF bay area is hell of expensive) Claudia and I had a house in Oakland near downtown for fifteen years~....we are both from Milwaukee and moved to California in 1988~...thanks for asking...I feel like somebody now~

As far as your oil goes, as long as there "is some" is all that really matters...a slippery oil will slip past the gaskets easier, if that's any comfort.~

at the shop where I worked in 1993 there was a woman had gotten towed into the shop, and had a seized motor because she had no oil in there...and did not know what oil was or where to put it in...so one of the guys noticed that she had NO OIL and proceeded to put a new filter and five quarts in...back turned it a few degrees and it fired right up...like nothing ever happened~

435

yeah I have been told that I need an o2 sensor ( I have 2 and I think it is the expensive one) and that I need a catalytic converter (I also have 2 of them and I think it is the more expensive one) and I was told that I need either or both because of the oil going from somewhere to somewhere and eventually to or on the CC. Oh yeah, I was also told to clean my throttle body...don't know about throttle body but I just cleaned my personal body(-: So I am a sexy Mathematician dork huh? better than the alternative right. Thanks for the complement. Overall, even if my car needs a lot of work, I think it is worth it because I am the original owner and have all of my records...the trans is in good shape and other than the paint (which I wish I could do since I refinish (or strip as my mom tells me) furniture but some how wood and plastic/metal just aren't the same darn it) everything else is in fairly good condition. to me it is great condition because it is paid for. on June 4 I bought my daughter a 1993 Lexus ES400 for graduation and we literally drove 25 miles, owned it 4 hours, and I had just filled it up with $83 of gas when this rather young lady failed to yield and we hit her totally my daughter's car that she never even got to drive. so I am not down to 1 vehicle (daughter cant drive it because it's a stick) which also means down to one drive yuck! Gotta keep my baby going, get her back in better shape. So you think I am capable of the this crank case thing? It's me or the shop...Where did you see those cheap ones, I couldn't see on my phone. as for the above paragraph, I think I am going to have to video under my hood so you can point me in the right direction. All I can say is it is a good thing I don't have to do emissions cuz I may have a problem if my CC and O2 sensor are not working properly

435

Oh yeah, I have the Chilton book for my car so I could look in it for the stuff you were talking about in the above paragraph.

Much closer to Bakersfield than LA. That is where we have to go when it's necessary to go to "The City" for things not able to be had in a small town. Now, anyway, that much consumption and no smoke and no puddles is going to be a mystery. Not one that can't be solved though, I am not saying that. The only problem right now is I have to do some caretaking, of a wife with, let's just say serious difficulties. Stage 4 Cardiomyopathy I will be a few hours, this can wait no longer, but will certainly not forget about you. I shall return.

Before I go precisely which engine do you have? Please post that and I will be back when I can

damn David, such a trooper you are comin' to help people with their car problems such a fine gentleman....he's my mentor and has been since the beginning when I just wanted to know what accessory went onto the "mystery nubs" on the MINI's dash~....kinda got sucked in, and happy to share what I know...one look at the brain scan and Uncle Sam says "you've put enough into Social Security" we won't make your eat Alpo and beg with cardboard sign and coffee can (the usual VA package)~ So I have MS, and won't let me work...I get wobbly and have to stay indoors (Pretty much) can't walk much without a cane and am basically a disgrace...do have my invention of a human-powered vehicle what utilizes an hydraulic accumulator for storage of energy and recaptures rolling motion too, a kind of hot-rod exercise go-kart~never seen one except in my own head~

435

ok so I just discovered your answer for where you and Dave live. I have been to LA and San Diego for work but here is something you may find interesting...I lived in Marin County in San Raphael in the early 80's. We moved out there because my dad had to brothers living there and my mom had to have brain surgery and at the time, maybe even still, UCSF was at the forefront. Best childhood memories I have. Some how we ended back on the east coast. I remember my parents paying $750 a month for a shacky apartment off of D Street in San Raphael and that was in 81 or 82. Cannot even imagine what it costs now. I did take my oldest daughter out to San Fran in 2005 and we went to Fantasy Land (I think that is what it is called) in Oakland because I had a pic taken there when I lived in CA so I took her to have the same photo taken nearly 30 yrs later. I so want to come back and visit, it is my absolute favorite city! I am not sure where you are in relation to where I was I just know that I was in mega rich which we were not. Still enjoyed everyday I lived there. I would move out again if I could. I am a Federal employee and we do ok but we don't do that well. I live in Fredericksburg, VA 50 miles south of DC and 50 Miles north of Richmond (not California lol). I am originally from Maryland so this was a culture shock initially and all we did was move across the Potomac river. Going from a blue state to a red state, quite a drastic difference regardless of party affiliation. Oh so sorry to ramble but I never know anyone from the San Fran area. My sister was the LA girl, she lived in Glendale and Newport...San Fran for me any day! Gotta get my 6 yr old to Fantasy Land so she can take the same pic as her sister and me!

win the lottery and you'll see them...lots of them...everyone needs exercise...everyone needs to get to the store and back....why waste all that energy...drive a "recaptor" for a splendid leg kicking exercise and push-pull of the control levers (steers if twisted 90degrees)....the world is ready, wondering if they will crush me like a bug like they did Michael Hastings~?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHCTw7uuEao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awGrZGiqs5Y

19,625

Maybe I missed something- did you say how many miles are on the car? That could possibly affect the diagnosis and the future repair decisions

435

there are 256K miles, hard miles to cuz most were commuting miles in DC traffic...and if you haven't heard VA drivers are the worst in the world. Other than the oil burning, she runs good, I realize that the symptoms are probably a grim diagnosis for the engine but I have gone back and forth about this numerous times and abt $3K vs, either a used car that I have no idea about the history or a new car with a payment. So burning oil which has supposedly led to either burning out one or both Cat Converters and O2 Sensors. I think everything else is minor. I may not be thinking clearly about fixing or not because I am partial to this car...first one I ever owned from beginning!

435

Dave, I have the 4 cyl 2.4 with manual transmission. I too shall return, I am going out to run errands so I should be a few hours. But first, I am going to check my oil because it has been 2 days. Ok, I will be back later and I am a late owl so should work well for your time difference.

19,625

That is a lot of miles, and tough miles too- it sounds like you already know the answer about your engine- it is worn out- worn rings will let oil into the combustion chamber and the smoke will blow out your cats- there are 3 options- buy a new Toyota Corolla (they are dealing on them right now, got some product to move) buy a nice used car with low miles from the original owner so you have a good chance of getting a good one (but that's a chunk of change and banks prob'ly won't finance unless you go to the evil used car guys/snake oil salesmen)- OR- just keep driving your baby and adding oil- not so good for the environment but good for your wallet and your heart- rebuilding the engine is not a good idea because it's expensive and you'll be left with a worn out car with a good (maybe) engine- I would drive it 'til it's dead then trade it on a new Corolla in your favorite color- Lipstick Red?

buy her an ole punch buggy that cannot overheat you can get a pretty good one for around $3500.00 because these are AIR cooled they will not overheat~ and drive something appropriate for a person of distinction...a Mercedes or BMW...even a mazda sporty one or MINI cooper (like I drive)~

Drive a MINI...this is the BEST experience I've had driving....ever...and now I own one....sad because the wife insisted on the CVT automatic...but has a "M/S mode" where downshifting is allowed (tho clunky)~...but you've had one car...do you really want to continue on this path, personally cannot even get into the '93 Toyota....a loyal friend but claustrophobic...and the standard size cab...now THE MINI is cavernous inside can adjust the seat however you want and is sized for a six foot five John Cooper....is hella fun to drive, set-up to do the autobahn as with the CVT 2300 rpm = 65 mph....ridiculous want to go faster reduction on that transmission....trouble free and 34,000 miles cross your fingers...recommend the MINI....test drive one as one driver to the next can tell you will not want to get out of it~

Still looking around.....not going to give up

...besides they are sexy....toyotas will NEVER be sexy.~

aircraft style toggles for the window control...mine has a GPS, sadly they cut oil pressure voltage and temperature and insist on "just go confidently" you've got the 800 number~....as if....still want the gauges accessory pack but would have to get rid of the GPS....run confidently my friend, at least until 60,000, I drive like a granny and want to put a bumpersticker that says "SLOW" on there so people would stop huggin' my ass~

can you burn oil just as you do gas? I guess this is okay, but somehow just not right~

H25....DC traffic.....over a quarter of a million miles on it....her first car....perhaps we could suggest a move to something with FEWER miles on it....Don't know about CarGurus because I used Yahoo motors which posts the same used car guys so that would not have made a difference, but a MINI (any year) leather, and Green were my only criteria, after we found one (a former rental) with only 33,000 miles on it we had to buy it....except we paid over market value....drat....but we have the car we needed with this....start thinking about your favorite car and we can help you locate this correct combination....convertibles are nice, but not with two weeks of rain storms or sub-zero temps~

same basic design for fifteen years....it's a BMW in disguise...this cooper has a timing chain on the R50 engine....the Cooper S has a belt...and a turbo~ exhaust pipe is in the middle and there's a scoop on the R52 engines~

why do I keep thinking the squareroot of x+y as zero approaches infinity...what happened to the z-axis?....of course this is practical calculus used in heat treatment of iron and various metals, each having a unique eutectoid point is the time to strike...when atoms have arranged themselves in a diagonal configuration~....the eutectoid point~ of course we don't make anything anymore and my largely industrial machine design has gone to waste....couple of temp jobs...Parker-Hannifin high purity valves were taking over the Belleville division...there was a lot of work there with men who could not get along with one another and not along with you....job paid $40/hour....mechanics make considerably less~

note I still own the Toyota...that thing will NEVER die and will continue to be a disgrace as long as I own it....dammit the air conditioning still works after seven years and I have not touched it~

209,905

Yup, worn rings and or valve seals. Probably not worth fixing it, like Jamn said, just keep replacing with oil till your ready for another vehicle. Or you can buy a Mini.

435

Sorry for the delay, ran errands then got caught up with my lil chicas. Judge I beg to differ, my Toyota is sexy and I even have personalized tags "TARAFYD"-oh yeah my name is Tara. Im just not ready to give up on my baby. I know the future regarding my car decision is approaching 0 as the limit (of my car) approaches infinity. There is the best calculus I could come up with this late at night and talking about my car so give me credit. I am going to keep pouring the oil in until she wont take it anymore. I am not ready for a car payment or commitment yet. judge, how can you be so cruel to the car that wont give up on you...I have owned a 1993 Tercel, 1999 Echo, 2001 Corolla S (first year of the S edition), and 2002 Camry SE. I only have one left and that is the Avalon and I don't want a 6 cyl...love my gas mileage (hate going to the gas station), not to mention maintenance costs increase with 6 and 8 cyl. Thinking when and if I buy another Toyota I would buy a Camry SE (4 cyl ) again. I would consider used as an option however, I would need someone who knows what they are doing and talking about if I travel down that road. I do not want to end up with another used car that I may have to dump $ in cuz I can do that with my own already. Well I am going to get off for the night, I have to get up in less than 3 hours but I will be on intermittently throughout the day. I need you guys to give me pros to keeping and fixing my baby...anybody? please (-:

209,905

Like others have said, you can keep your baby on the road, but at what cost? You will be putting more money into the engine than what the car is worth and what if something else goes wrong with it. I'd personally start looking for another used car. You can pick up a good one if you take the time to look and have a PPI or Pre Purchase inspection complete by a local mechanic. At least you will have a good starting point. Good Luck.

you will be able to transfer you custom plates too---listen to what Tom says...he don't mess around as our No.3 Guru~

If Tom spent half the time I do here he would be runaway #1 top leader. He knows more than I do and as I say, the only reason I am ahead is time spent. That goes for tenspeed too. I am still mulling you oil consumption. Letting it try to connect damaged synapses.

Ms. Akins please consider the Toyota PRIUS...my wife's 2006 Prius still gets near 50 miles/gallon after 100,000 miles already...this car is a friggin' miracle~ going to visit the Grand Canyon with this car she's named "Fiskars"~ ....amazed, can hardly hear it running....Japanese Genius~~

Honestly cannot recommend 'children's Fairyland' Lake Merrit is an interesting place, but there is high-crime, people get shot...there are a lot of guns in the hands of people who've got no sense...and simply kill you and walk away....having a home there Downtown for 15 years, can say that the lower register on the survival scale is what you'll find....occasionally you'll find kindness....but decent people bail and go to "happier" areas where if you turn your back, your car battery will be taken or your wheels removed~ Makes for awkward visits from friends cause you come out and you don't know if the battery's still onboard~

...the homies were befuddled by the Left Handed Lug nuts on the '61 Buick and could not take the left side wheels...funny quirk...they don't do that anymore~

...well thank you...a fine sexy mathematician...you enter my thoughts more than you should...what can I say....I'm just a guy~...(and married)~