My 02, 240k miles V6 Camry needs a new engine. Is it worth replacing or selling? how much can i get for it as is

Asked by May 19, 2016 at 12:45 PM about the 2002 Toyota Camry LE V6

Took the car into repair shop to replace catalytic converter and knock
sensor which was done. When I went to collect the car, it failed to start.
Was later told I had a broken piston. Replacement engine will cost over
$1100 + labor. I have already spent $1160 on initial repair. Only being
offered 1000 by the garage repair. Not sure what to do as its come at bad
time to purchase brand new car,time and money. Any experts out there can
advise?

98,365

What bothers me is why would they put that equipment on a obviously bad engine, a broken piston makes some noise, that should have tipped the tech off that something is wrong before proceeding with repairs. 1160 just for cats and a knock sensor seem quite high too me, how well do you know this shop? I'm really suspicious of what seems to be going on.

Thanks tennisshoes I've known this guy for many years from when he had a smaller operation, he's always been up front with me. After investigating why the piston broke, said a valve dropped through on to the piston. The only thing that I can't vouch for the techs who are working with him as I can't put same trust I have for him on them, Don't know much about engines but i would presume to do the work the valve cover and spark plugs would have been removed and checked or replaced to get to the knock sensor and a broken valve would have been identified prior... just thinking aloud. Like I said don't know much about on how it all works

98,365

As you can see from the pic it's hard for a valve to drop onto a piston without some catastrophic part failure. The pic is just one side of the engine. Maybe this will shed some light on the subject.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Thanks still my word against theirs

Let's assume the engine ran fine when you initially took this vehicle in for repair. Why was the CAT and KS replaced? They broke the car...repairs are on them. Now, let's assume the care ran so bad you had to have it towed to this repair facility. They diagnose a bad CAT and knock sensor. They start it up and she runs badly and makes a lot of engine noise. The cost of further repairs are on YOU. So...what's the real story behind this concern??? IMO...If you would like to keep this vehicle....and...the Tranny and Drive Train are still in good shape...I would be inclined to shop around for a Good Junk Yard Engine...and....have it installed by a "Reliable Shop"...who employ Certified techs.

Yes the engine ran fine before I took it there. The story behind it is, I had a check engine light on the car last year May 2015 when I was about to do my emissions test. When diagnosed, it was a bad CAT. The repair shop I took it to last year, had to try 3 different CAT's over time because they kept failing before eventually I was able to do the emissions. And yes, it was driven 70 to 80 miles for it to clear CE lights but the check engine light came back on. Since I had already passed I did not concern myself about fixing it immediately. Unfortunately the time came around for emissions again so I decided to use this repair shop, who i've used before but not recently. When the CE light was diagnosed it was CAT + KS bank 2. Both issues were fixed supposedly. When I came to collect car, on turning the ignition to start, there was this loud rattling noise and next thing the engine stopped. Did not even move the car from repair shop lot. That's the story. I'm done with it. Can't throw anymore money at installing a replacement engine. It's too much of a cost and high mileage. Pretty upset about it as it was running soundly prior to all to this and would have been even better with CAT and KS repaired. That's life! Thanks for your post and suggestion.

Interesting History on this vehicle. Although I feel this last repair has somehow gone down the wrong road, and the repair shop is somewhat responsible.....you are correct in letting this one go. You might consider the $1000.00 offer from the garage. IMO...that's an admission ....they screwed up. In the final analysis....we all learned something from your unfortunate experience.

98,365

Thanks for the points. If you want to go further with this, contact you local Better Business Bureau, they might be able to set in and help you with this, the only other alternative is to have a talk with an attorney, most will give you 30 minutes free consultation. Like last chance stated this reflects bad on all of us professional techs.

1,240

Hi Joba.....what's new concerning the problem with this vehicle?