2001 Toyota Camry 2.2

Asked by Mar 26, 2017 at 05:21 PM about the 2001 Toyota Camry LE

I have a 2001 Camry. I have replaced the timing
belt and have replaced the fuel pump because it
wasn't starting, when I go in to start the car again, I
get nothing. The starter turns but it won't cut back
on...any ideas?

73,065

Are you positive the timing marks were lined up when you put the belt on?

I'm pretty positive I have them both aligned the crank pulley I have set at zero & the cam shaft pulley i have the hole center with the notch an not the circle. Is this right?

73,065

Like this?

73,065

Timing mark on the camshaft gear is at 12 o-clock. Crankshaft is set to TDC.

Hey. Yes that's exactly how I have it timed. I cannot hear the fuel pump turning on when I try to start the car. Do you know where the relay is for it? I've checked all relays under the hood an they all look good. ***pretty stumped why I can't get this car on.

73,065

Well then fuel at this point is the issue. And yes the relay is under the hood. If there is a cover for the relay fuse box look on the underneath side of the cover for locations. Or they may be marked by each relay. Need power to the fuel pump, and you should hear it prime up when you turn the key to the on position.

Yeah I don't hear turn on when I turn it. I did though buy starter fluid an put it in the intake an it didn't try to start. Do you still think it's fuel related? I would think spraying starter fluid in the throttle body would at least get it to try to start but I could be wrong. Not to familiar with Toyota's.

73,065

Yes, starting fluid should have made it fire off. It sounds like there is no power to anything. Going to have to start looking for why there is no power, check things on the engine that would be powered up when the key is on, like at the coil. I just got back, I'll be here the rest of the day.

So it's getting power to the coil packs but no spark to plugs cause I pulled the plug and left wires attached and tried cranking it. And I didn't smell any fuel in any cylinders. do you think it could be the crankshaft position sensor? & the fuel pump doesn't prime at all.

73,065

Was this running before you started into it? Do you have a scanner to check for codes also...

I do have a scanner it's pulling no codes, before I bought the car it was showing catalyst and evap codes. I bought it off a guy on Craig's list, it was broken down when I looked at it, What I saw was just a broken water pump an timing belt. So I fixed those issues. I was thinking easy and fast fix, now it looks like I might be dealing with way more. But the car was broken down on the side of the road.

73,065

Ok, there is a ignition control module in there somewhere, that could be bad, find it and take it out along with the coil (s) and have them tested at an auto parts store. That way you would know if there good or bad. And also the crankshaft sensor, I think the auto parts store could check that or you could by taking it out and hooking up 12V to it, it turns into a magnet so put it against something metal. Usually the crankshaft sensor is not the issue, usually....And you may want to check the cylinder compression. You just don't know the condition of the engine.

So I feel completely dumb....we jumped a wire from the ignition fuse to the ignition wire on the coil packs an to the fuel pump an now it all works. So there's was athe little black box underneath the dash that was not sending the signal to the coil pack or fuel pump. It's called avi start 3200. Ugh! Hate it took someone else to find it but all hrs put there was worth it. Didn't get to start It because the battery was dead so have it charging at auto zone an.will have it going Tomm. Hopefully!

73,065

Hey, its all a good learning experience! And if everything turns out on this, you will know it inside and out, and know what to do when something needs repairing.

:) Thanks for all the help!

73,065

Your welcome. Let me know when you get it started, that kind of stuff is good to hear.

1,930

Marisol...I have been following this thread.....interesting. does this vehicle now start and run well?

@Rowefast I sure will. Haven't gotten to it, all I have to do is run some wires. I took a much needed break...been working non-stop on it since I got. @last_chance_garage no I haven't got it running.Hopefully tonight or Tomm I will. Will let y'all know :)