Not starting

Asked by May 17, 2016 at 01:32 PM about the 2001 Toyota Camry LE

I have an 01 camry 4 cylinders. The vehicle doesn't
want to start at all. It will only start with starter
fluid. Which made me think it was the fuel pump
because I got spark and compression. I checked
the fuel pressure and it was at 0 with the old pump.
With the new one it is still at 0 not pressure. When I
crank the engine, I don't hear the pump coming on
until I stop cranking it I hear the pump and no fuel
pressure reading on the pressure tester.

Could be a Fuse....could be a Relay....could be a Open in the feed or Ground in the FP circuit. Check to see if you have a DIAGNOSTIC Connector under the left side of the engine compartment. It's near the brake Master Cylinder. Lift the CAP on this connector. You should see on the underside of this connector cap...a diagram of the connections is there a FP connection? Meanwhile...look around under hood for Fuse/relay Boxes. Again...under the lid of these boxes...you will find indications of fuse/relay locations. Get back to us with your observations.

Sorry for not getting back sooner. The car did turn on but it was idling really bad I still didn't get any fuel pressure when the car was on. I am going to change the spark plugs well because they look really bad so it wouldn't hurt. So I did check for the connector you were talking about I didn't find it anyehere. Were you talking about the obd2 connector? When it is on like I said it idles really bad. I did how ever did see the cat being really hot it was glowing red. could the catalyst be clogged?

When you indicate the fuel pressure is 0...I have to assume you have a Fuel Pressure GAUGE connected in line with the fuel filter? If the Check Engine Light is NOT on when the engine runs .....then...let's put the Diag. connector aside for awhile. You indicate the spark plugs look "really bad". Do they appear to be wet with fuel? If the CAT is "glowing red" when the engine is running...that is a bad sign. The engine might be pushing RAW FUEL into the CAT. We need to find the cause of this concern before we damage the engine/CAT. At this point the CAT may be restricted. Pull the Engine DIP STICK...smell/feel the oil. Does it smell like Gasoline? The other thought I have is a bad fuel pressure REGULATOR. Locate this FPR....it should have a rubber/vacuum hose attached. Pull the hose and look/smell the end of the hose. Is gas present? Get back to us with the result.

1,830

Hi...any luck finding a fix for your vehicle?

Sorry guys. Yea i think I got it. I changed the cat so far its being doing good. I've drove it for about 150 miles and no problem. The cat was clogged really bad it sucks when all the bolts strip!! Lol thanks so much ill keep you guys updated if something else comes up thanks

1,830

OK...good job. You might consider keeping an eye on that new CAT...and Engine Oil Level/smell/feel/contamination. Good Luck.