Have replaced upper temp gauge, lower temp switch on radiator. Thermostats. And car still runs hot..Did notc the lower radiator hose does not get hot..what could be the problem..

Asked by Apr 20, 2016 at 10:43 PM about the 2000 Toyota Camry LE

Might be a restricted radiator. With the engine cold and shut off...try the old school "Touchy/feel" method of diagnosis. Grab the upper and lower radiator hoses with your hand. They should both feel the same temp.......COLD. Start the engine and CAREFULLY grab the UPPER Rad. Hose. Be careful of those rotating parts. With in about 5 min. you should begin to feel the upper hose warm up...then...get hot. HOT.....HOT...you will have to remove your hand it's so hot. Immediately go grab the lower RAD HOSE. Again be very careful of those rotating parts. The lower hose should be HOT...but NOT HOT HOT. It should be somewhat LESS hot than the upper hose. The temp gage on the dash should indicate normal operating temp. Get back to us with the results.

So...what was the final result and repair of this issue?

Lower hose warmed up some. Car sits not fixed.

Sounds like a restricted radiator. You might consider shopping around for a good USED radiator at your nearest junk yard vs. the price for new at local parts store. Get back to us if you decide to repair this vehicle your self for the necessary precautions. BTW....there other things that can cause an overheat condition....but...you have to start some where.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to take it to a radiator shop to get tested.?

Sure...a good radiator shop has the equipment to test the cooling system for flow and any restrictions/blockages. BTW...did you happen to notice if the cooling fans come ON when the engine is running HOT? If you run the AC system...that should turn on the cooling fans. Try NOT to run the engine too long. To many overheats can cause other engine problems.

Was there any solutions concerning your overheat issue?

Nope..still stumped.

OK.....IF I assume the Cooling Fans operate properly and the Upper Rad Hose Is HOT.....the LOWER Rad. Hose is just "warmed up some"...my guess is a restricted radiator. You might want to try this: with the engine COLD carefully disconnect the lower radiator hose. Of course you will loose much of your coolant...but...coolant is easily replace. Place the end of your garden hose into the lower connection at the RADIATOR. Shove a rag into this connection to make a good seal. Remove the Radiator Cap. Turn your garden hose on full blast. You should see water shooting out the hole that the radiator cap was remove from.. Water should shoot up into the air about 1 foot(12 inches). This "old school test" also reverse flushes the radiator. Use caution when DC Rad. hoses...sometimes they are Stuck in place and you need a special tool to disengage the connection.

Here is another "Old School" test for the water Pump....which can also cause your issue. After connecting the lower Rad. hose and filling her up with water...Disconnect a Heater Core Hose from the firewall. Try to point the end of the hose away from the Engine. Start her up.....you should see coolant discharge from the hose like you would see from a garden hose.... full blast. Caution...use care DC Heater hoses. You can damage the heater core connections..

so....did you ever fix your overheat problem?

Hello to all of you Gurus and Alabama....any updates/opinions concerning this problem vehicle?