2000 Camry, New battery and new altenater and No lights on the instrument panel

30

Asked by Jul 12, 2015 at 08:33 AM about the 2000 Toyota Camry LE

Hi It's been two days since I replaced new battery and alternator my 2000 Camry. Last two days Camry was fine, however all electrical system is completely dead this morning. When I turned ignition, honking, nothing happens. No sounds no light at all. I tried jump start(didn't work), I checked battery, battery cable, terminal, fuse,(everything Okay), but it seems there is no connection between the battery and the vehicle electrical system. This Camry is my wife's wedding gift, and we have been driving this Camry since 2003. We have so many memorable trips with this Camry. Please help us!

23,260

After replacing the battery and alternator did you do a charging system test to make sure was charging at 14 volts ?

13,205

My first thought is to check the ground (Black) cable that comes from the battery. The cable from the battery will go to the chassis of the vehicle or sometimes the engine block. Make sure this connection to the chassis is tight and with good connection, no corrosion, etc. Without any reference to ground, all of your electrical in the vehicle will not work. Double check the clamps on the battery and verify solid connection as well.

23,260

Check connections at starter making sure they are nice and tight. Also check ignition fuse in fuse box under hood.

23,260

Try jumping your vehicle again but this time let the vehicle that is jumping your vehicle stay running and leave the cables on for a few minutes to charge the bad battery. Battery may be to low to except a jump right away.

30

firbird338& Mark, Tank you for your answer. I checked connections are good and tight. Also I checked ignition fuse, and it's good. I tried jumping with vehicle stay running. but my Camry didn't make any bit of sound or light. Even no door light, no honking sound. It is like unplugged electric H/W. Battery is good, ground wire is good. Maybe relay problem?

23,260

Possibly a relay no harm to check out. Is your battery easy to remove ? I would take battery out and have charged or replace with battery that you no is fully charged and see what happens.

23,260

Also check the connection at your computer making sure it is making good connection.

Why was the battery and alt. replace? What was the original issue with this vehicle?

30

I have replaced both battery and alternate due to the problem in charging system. Battery was not charging enough by the alternator. My Camry is 2000 model and it's about time to replace alternator. I called towing company and they took a good mechanic shop. Once they figure out what the cause of this problem then I will let everyone know in here. Thank you,

Much appreciated. Letting us know the final repair to these issues is very helpful. WE become better "helpers" to other folks having similar issues.

30

Hi All. I figured what was the main problem was! It was old battery terminal. I only looked and checked "-" terminal which is not covered, but there was bad corrosion problem on "+" terminal which has been covered by red plastic all the time. Since I replaced brand new thick brass terminals, everything back to normal. Also new battery I bought from Walmart was defective one. It was a combination of defective battery plus bad terminals. Thank you!

10

Just to add a tip... If you replace the connectors / terminals on the battery, make sure the wire is making contact with terminal. My connectors were covered in paint, not making the connection. It's a real Aha moment!

10

My car doesn't want to charge,I have a new battery,new alternator,new starter,new belt,checked all the fuses,I don't know what else it can be,someone help me!!!!