Shift Linkage

70

Asked by May 11, 2015 at 11:39 AM about the 2000 Toyota Camry LE

I have a 2000 Toyota Camry. The shift linkage broke and I can't tell if it is the entire cable
or just the bushing.  I attached a picture to help figure this out

The end of the cable is broken off. I will find a picture of the cable. I am having a really hard time my ISP keeps cutting in and out

click to size up

.

70

So you are saying that I would have to replace the entire cable? Is that something that can be done at home with little mechanical experience or do you think that I should get the cable and have a garage do it?

Let me find a how-to to answer you. Meantime here is a better shot

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/103-3rd-4th-generation-1992-1996-1997-2001/309795-replacing-snapped-shift-cable.html

At that site there is a picture that looks almost just like yours. There are some instructions, and here is a video. I have never done one personally so I really can't say the degree of difficulty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhVPGUT90DQ

70

Thank you so much, all of this information is very helpful! I will have to get the part and start working on it ASAP. Thanks again!

My pleasure

50

I know this is a late response but I had the same issue and couldn't find much information anywhere on fixing/replacing the cable. I ended up still replacing the cable myself and decided to document the full process to help others who have the same problem in the future. I didn't decide to make the video until after I had successfully replaced the cable so I started recording at the end of the process and recorded as I put the car back together...then I strung the clips together in the "correct" order. So if the video seems a little goofy keep in mind that I'm working backwards and did my best to put the steps in the right order. Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=a0ORL4DAKio Hope it helps!

Im reviving a dead thread here but I am also having the same issue, however, with my toyota, the attachment clip from the end of the cable to the tranny lever is just a plastic clip (for lack of a better word) its a square shaped piece with a notch cut out the top that the cable fits into and its supposed to hold it along the top. its very strange, not sure how it every really worked,. and totally different than what I see here. I will post a picture tomorrow (its dark here and was dark when the issue happened)

Zip ties are working for time being on my camry. broke last week

zip ties working for a week now, will being getting fixed next year maybe

so my 88 camry wagon has started slipping out of 5th and I have been told it is the shift cables. I have also been told that finding shift camles for an 88 camry manual transmission is very nearly impossible without spending somewhere around 600.00. Does anyone here have another suggestion or any insight for me? thank you.