car stalls when slowing down or at complete stop

rocketcityjc
0

Asked by May 02, 2012 at 11:40 AM about the 2000 Toyota Camry LE

car dies out when slowing down to make turn or at traffic or stop signs.i have put in shop twice and they
could not figure out problem even after they clean fuel system and change EGR valve.thinking electrical?

aztec626bf
11,665

Here is one of my favorite comprehensive engine tests this might help you in this situation. .......... You should get between 17-22 in. hg. depending on your elevation above 2000 feet MSL or mean sea level. To perform this test hook vacuum gauge directly to manifold vacuum. 1. Low steady needle usually indicates leaky intake, a leaky vacuum hose, late timing, or incorrect camshaft timing. 2. If reading is 3-8 inches low and fluctuates at that low reading suspect an intake manifold gasket leak at intake port or faulty injector. 3. If the needle has regular drops of about 2-4 in hg. at a steady rate the valves are probably leaking. (Perform a compression check). 4. An irregular drop or down flick of the needle can be caused by a sticking valve or an ignition misfire. 5. A rapid vibration of about four in hg. indicates worn valve guides. 6. Slight fluctuation of one inch or so indicates ignition problems. 7. Large fluctuation perform a compression check. 8. If needle moves slowly through a wide range check for PCV issues. Hope this gives you a good place to start and helps you figure it out.

Yoann Gauffrès
135

check out the distributor ignitor!

Felix Lai
215

Does the shop clean the throttle body 1st ?

Felix Lai
215

Toyota Engines all have that common problem with the dirty chocked with black carbon on the throttle body flap and the idle control valve. I would suggest to clean the throttle body flap and the idle control valve. Take the whole throttle body out and remove the idle control valve. keep the idle control valve gasket in a safe place. Those cleaner will damage the gasket. The idle control valve can be clean! I use WD40 or equivalent lubricant to clean. use a tiny flathead screwdriver to push the spring loaded flap and check if it is still movable or not. If not replace the idle control valve, also get a new gasket for it. If still movable just keep spray the WD40 and moving the flap back and forth. and wipe clean with a rag.

djflashover
70

i am having the same issue with my car and i just replaced a torn intake hose, my mechanic believes it could be a faulty idle air control valve or whatever and they said it could also be a temp sensor or something. everybody i take to from mechanics to aftermarket shops all point to the iac so im just fixing that first and recleaning the throttlebody

Brian_S
70

Just had the same issue, and the crankshaft position sensor wire had been rubbing on the water pump pulley that the serpentine belt rides on. This would cause the wires inside to touch and kill the car at stop lights or stop signs, or hard left and right turns. My mechanic said when I replaced the water pump some six months ago I never got the small wire harness tucked all the way into the harness holder thus giving me this annoying problem down the line. $97.00 dollars for new crankshaft position sensor, and $79.00 for diagnostic check and i'm happy, happy, happy. Hope this helps someone else.

DMDart83
10

I have a 2004 toyota celica gts, I was getting the code p0171, so people say they usually replace the o2 sensor before the cat, so i replaced the o2 still got the code, so then changed out my maf sensor changed all hoses, cleaned throttle body, cleaned injectors, checked plugs, which I believe they are all good, but car takes two times to crank and every once in a while stalls when coming to a stop or turning. I noticed that there is no sensor connector hooked to one of my vacuum air connectors when i got the car, but never gave me problems, but could be it be spark plugs or that missing connector to one of the air vacuum connectors?