Car bucks when i try to speed up

Asked by Oct 02, 2013 at 09:40 AM about the 2000 Toyota Camry CE

im new to this site, im also a female who is trying DESPERATELY to isolate my car problem, i have taken the car to numerous people in the last two years with the same problem, no check engine light is on, i have changed the following O2 sensors, cat convertor, spark plugs and wires, sparks plugs again (b/cause i thought gapping them might have been the problem, car still bucking) air intake hose replaced, put fuel injector cleaner in gas tank. im no mechanic, but it feels like it has a cold or like its sick if that makes any sense,  if i could just fix this one thing i feel like it could go another 50,000- mileage is only at 122,000 and have owned it since 03'. Here are the things i wrote down from this site that i want someone to look at for me (or ill google the engine for images and try to fix a couple things on my own) let me know if there is anything on the following list that i should just cross off without bothering, ANY help is tremendously appreciated
1 distributor ignitor
2 faulty air contol valve
3 idle air speed controller
4 OBD II port pins loose
5 check distributor seal
6 loose battery cable
7 ERG valve
8 fuse box under hood, loose?
9 mass air flow sensor (but my car is not stalling, almost at times- but not yet)
10 gap spark plugs at .044 -AGAIN
11 air hose cracks
12 clean throttle body
you guys are my hero's i mean really, it is amazing to me how complex a car is, i wish my dad or brother were into them and could have taught me a thing or two when i was growing up

Were the plugs and wires changed at the same time?

Also, which engine is in the car?

yes, and then plugs were taken out and gapped, and then i replaced them with new ones myself (it was pretty awesome) and it seemed like it wasnt chugging as much, but still have the bucking when i gas it

the door says it was made in 1999, its a 4 cylinder, 4 door that forest green color(dont laugh, i dont know if that is relevent) CE, i wish i knew the numbers after the 4 cylinder part, im at work and i didnt drive it in.

Is this a Toyota Camry in the U.S.A. ? Because I see that the U.S. built Camry has Distributor-less ignition.

is it only on takeoof from idle or does it hesitate any time you try to accelerate ?

every time i accelerate (or want to go faster than 50)

yes it is the U.S.A., and i think its a 2.2litre, if that helps

you can pretty much eliminate 3,4,6,8,10.

im at lunch until 2 pm, but will check any questions as soon as i get back, thank you guys for the help

Pull the spark plugs again, one at a time, and check for carbon tracking on the white ceramic portion of the plug. See this video: If you find carbon tracking, replace the plugs and wires at the same time. Replacing one or the other will cause the same problem, as the carbon tracking will transfer to the new plug, or new wire. When I asked if the plugs and wires were changed at the same time, I meant both replaced that same day, and before the engine was started. From your description, it still sounds like an ignition misfire to me. Or, it might be that Forest Green color. Just kidding. :-)

Best Answer

When you stated that the distributor ignitor was replaced, I'm assuming it was 1 or both of the ignition coils. See the picture. The spark plug wires should go from the plugs, to two of these coil packs.

Also make sure the wires are connected correctly. See below.

check at the coils for carbon tracing also. especially if thats not what you replaced.

i cannot wait to get home and try these. i have tomorrow off so, ill be back on the site tomorrow to let you guys know how you did! again -HUGE THANK YOU'S

It's been 5 days wonder how it all came out?

Hi, i sold it and bought an infiniti i35 2002, 130,000miles so im sure ill need future help from all of you out there. im thinking of buying an ODMII scanner just to have it, do the more expensive ones give a better description of what is wrong with a car? (nothing wrong with the car i just bought, just want to be ahead of the game) thank you all so much kathy, ma.