1999 Toyota Camry won't start

20

Asked by Oct 16, 2016 at 07:29 PM about the 1999 Toyota Camry LE

My Camry won't start. I thought the battery
died, it wouldn't jump so I replaced the
battery. Still won't start. I removed the rear
seat to get access to the fuel pump and
can hear it running. It's getting a spark and
the timing belt was replaced about 20k
miles ago. I don't know what else to do,
does anyone have any ideas?

1,190

Clarification needed. "Camry won't start" Does the engine Crank Over properly.....like the battery and the starter are good.....but..the Engine will not fire up(Start) and run(idle)? What engine is in this vehicle? Were there any warning Lights ON/Flashing when the engine was running?

20

It cranks, but won't start up. It's a 4 cylinder engine. There is an air leak which was setting the check engine light on, but I would think that that wouldn't keep the engine from firing up, would it?

39,875

Griffin777, you may have a bad starter. Locate the starter, have a friend hold the key to the ON position like they are starting the car. As they hold the key, you rap on the starter with a hammer. If the car turns over, you have a bad starter and need a new one. If yo still get nothing, I would check your starter relay. If relay tests good, try to start the car in neutral. You may have a bad neutral safety switch. Let us know what you find out.

1,190

OK...so...the Engine Cranks but will not fire up. The fuel pump runs and you say it has spark. We now need to check for INJECTOR PULSES. Suggest you go to a Parts Store and purchase a cheap NOID LIGHT for your make model year. This is a test light you place in one of the Injector Connectors. Be very careful not to break the injector electrical connector...and...place the noid light in the connector. Have someone crank the engine over while you watch the light. The light should BLINK while the engine is cranking. You could test every one of the Injector circuits if you wish. If the light blinks...then we know the Computer is commanding Fuel to inject into the cylinders. Would be nice to know the Code ID's stored in the computer. BTW, check the Engine OIL for contamination. If the oil smells like GAS...DO NOT start the engine.

20

Thanks, I'll try those things and see if they work.