Not sure what's wrong but my 99 Camry will not go in reverse and revs up too high around 50 mph and will not change gears. Any ideas?

Asked by Jun 24, 2015 at 03:55 PM about the 1999 Toyota Camry LE

Car is 99 Camry LE  with 2.2L 4 cal and automatic transmission. Car was sitting for like 3
years and I just got a new used motor put in and returned to me yesterday. Was driving
fine for a couple hours then I noticed when I put it in reverse, it would just rev up like it
was in neutral. Also, once I reach 45 to 50 mph, it won't go into third (I think that gear).
The rpm's will just go up and up and not go into next year. However a friend told me a
way to "reset" the transmission is to turn the car off and put it in D2 gear instead of drive.
Then put it back in park and start the car. Then the problems ceased but only very
temporary. I'm not sure if it's the tranny or if the tps sensor just needs to be replaced. I'd
appreciate any feedback.

Have you checked the fluid? Up to level and does it look red/pink, nor have burnt odor? Also there are shift solenoids inside the transmission. (It's not the tps) I usually don't recommend a transmission flush, I preach the evils all the time. But if the fluid is contaminated, brown or smells burnt a flush may get a few more miles out of it. The problem is that's like $80 - $100 and may not do anything, money down the drain. And if your used engine was just the engine and not with transaxle, all well and good but if the transmission came with, no way of knowing history. That 'trick' of putting it in 2 then back in Park I know about, all it does is fool the shifter solenoid for about one or two shifting cycles. And the fact you have no reverse at all is a bad sign. And...it's going in to 3rd at 45 but not in to Overdrive.It's a 4-speed. At a light to moderate throttle that is when is is supposed to shift in to O/D. If your used engine is relatively low miles, and you like the car (it's a good one generally) you have already spent money for the engine. might as well have the trans fixed. Easy for me to say, yeah, not my money. But then you will have a reliable car.

The transmission fluid seemed fine. I didn't smell it though. And yeah I just put $2200 into it so whatever the problem is, I will have to fix it. Thanks for the reply.

How many miles on this vehicle? I would be inclined to take it back to whomever did the Engine work. Now that you have some excellent advise above....start asking questions ? Especially if there was NO Tranny problem before the engine installation. A Scan from AutoZone might be helpful. Good Luck

hey I just opened my trans pan on my 2001 solara because it was not shifting into any gears. turns out the filter was so clogged it looked like it was packed with mud!!! that was probably the result of the two color additive i put in. i will never put anything in that is not recomended by dealer. anyway put new filter in cleaned the pan because it had so much mud at the bottom, put new oil and now it runs like new!!!! hope this helps

by the way my solara has 251000 miles on it!!!

Check the transmission linkage it could be loose or damaged and if not tht make sure planetary gears are meshing at there proper angles. If your gear teeth are not alinged as they should be this could possibly have an affect on your gears not shifting properly or not at all. But first call a mechanical friend whose knowledgeable about transmissions tell him your concerns and what is does or or doesnt do. And let him give you his answer and go from there ok.