99 Camry

Asked by Oct 23, 2016 at 01:48 PM about the 1999 Toyota Camry CE

Is there any remote possibility  breaking off the passenger-side mirror can affect the electrics?

970

Which "Electronics" are you referring to?

Best Answer

Thank you Tony.. Two days after the neighbor's devil-child tore the mirror off it will not start. Coincidences make me nervous. Starter clicks for the first three or four tries, and then morte...silence. Engine will not turn over. When i try the start again the next day , the same clicking, and then morte...nothing. The sound of the starter changed when i simultaneously pressed the window open button, which led to my question. Attempting a start in neutral didn't do it. Had been to my usual shop a week before to replace timing belt and water pump, battery is fine, car passed inspection. I love my garage and after 6 years never anything to complain about, but that's probably a girl thing and not salient. The car has been mercifully trouble-free, but at 185,000 mi., bits will begin to fall off. After the recent service cost , I'd like to try and get some sense of the problem before i tow it in. If it's a shocking problem then i must wait to have it fixed. Thank you thank you thank you

970

Ok...Engine will not Crank..thus...no start. Sounds like a Battery Issue to me. Does it have anything to do with the Mirror Mischief...maybe. If the wiring was shorted to ground during the process... the Battery could possibly drain overnight. I would be inclined to attempt a proper "Jump Start" procedure. Caution must be exercised here. Find someone who knows how to do this procedure properly. If the vehicle starts and runs with a jump...then it is a battery issue.

Oh thank you..someone is coming this week to jump it..He knows his stuff.. So even if the headlights work the battery could still be the prob? I just went out to check them and they work, but possibly seem not too bright, although you may have put that thought in my head. Maybe me not too bright..

970

Understood...we always like to do the easiest and cheapest thing first when diagnosing a no crank. A no crank can be caused by many thinks other than a weak battery. The Battery is just the starting point. Let us know what happens....and...good luck.

You are the BEST!

Tony, you are my new spirit guide!!! It was just the battery. Got a jump and it started baddaa bing.. Overnight charge at the garage and it's as good as 1999. You are awesome. Cannot thank you enough.

970

OK...good job. now we gadda find that !@#$%^ that broke your mirror and break his &^%$#. Baddaa Boom. Big Tony

Heehee..If only... Alas, he's a 7yr old- #1 on the neighborhood terrorist watch list. There's always one.