1997 toyota camry le v6 sedan starts but won't shift into reverse or drive

Asked by Jul 22, 2015 at 11:30 AM about the 1997 Toyota Camry XLE V6

Hello, a small history, I just a few days ago had to refill my transmission fluid, I used Dextron III, it had to be placed into the dipstick opening. Fired it up a few times to check it and shifted thru gears, everything looked great, car worked great. Also I had to refill oil, which this is the part where I believe I may have screwed up, the most basic of friggin fluid checks. My car takes 5W-30, and I filled it with 10W-30. I did all this yesterday, 07/21/2015. Now the next day (today 07/22/2015), my car starts, but will not shift into reverse or drive. What did I do to my poor car?

39,085

Changing your oil viscosity will not hurt your tranny. Did you check your tranny fluid with the tranny warmed up and the car running? Just asking because some people check the tranny fluid like the engine oil. Then they over fill it.

ok, hang on, I have figured it out, thus having a new question. upon getting off my ass and actually looking under my car, it turns out that somehow there is a dime size hole (maybe a hair smaller) in my tranny fluid tank under the car. I have ghetto-rigged the hole as a temporary fix, so now my question is, how do I repair this and how much will it cost me (if this is something I can do myself, I would rather do it that way, since shops always seem to end up in lawsuits)

39,085

Is the hole in the bottom of the pan cover like in the pic?

yes, you see the draining nut there on the bottom left corner? the hole is located towards just above that nut by an inch or a hair less, where the pan starts to concave around the nut.....

39,085

Well, if you have a hole in the pan cover, I would drain the fluid, remove the cover, and either weld the hole or just buy a new cover. You can try something like JB Weld and see if it holds for you as a cheap fix. But a cheap fix can blow out on you and you could really burn up the tranny. If looking for a replacement, I would try Ebay or your local salvage yard.

ok I did have the JB weld idea in mind, the hole is a decent size, perhaps I will need to make up some of that hole with something then use the weld, good idea or no good idea

39,085

JB Weld does harden well. I once patched a hole in my rear axle plate with it. It held up with no problems. I would say give it a shot.