97Camty- CV/axel assemblynew still makes loud popping noise and when jacked up the wheel will spin two turns then hangs up- all I can do to rotate it. 250K miles- I also noticed dirty tran fluid

Asked by Apr 09, 2015 at 10:04 AM about the 1997 Toyota Camry XLE

Popping in front right wheel area so I had a new CV/Axel assmbly put on- Still pops loudly and I cannot drive....It is like something is hanging up somewhere...SO- Itry to fix things but this is far above me..Could useadvice..front right wheel/tranny area   97Camty-  still makes loud popping noise and when jacked up the wheel will spin two turns then hangs up- all I can do to rotate it

109,925

It could be in the tranny, possible worn spyder gears or even the ring and pinion.

Any possible way to check those things??? I figure the car is only worth 1200- so would that be something worth fixing and if it is those things what would be a cost estimate on repair..I sincerely appreciate the advice...Pondering just getting son another car...

109,925

You would have to pull the inspection cover off, but if I remember right on this model it is not a easy task, plus you mentioned tranny fluid discoloration, and that could mean the clutches and or bands are slipping, and that means a tranny rebuild, or a good used tranny. Your at a crossroad with the vehicle. The repairs won't be cheap, is it in good shape, nice interior, good paint, tires, brakes etc. or is it starting to nickel and dime you with one repair after another. That is what you need to ask yourself when deciding on spending money on a car that the repair is going to cost about what the car is worth, or move on to another vehicle. I've had some people sink a lot of money in an older car just beacause they have brought it new and really like it, then others have said nope I'll just buy another car I'm tired of this one and move on. The choice is yours.

Perhaps it is time to retire the old fellow! Motor still runs like a top....Think I will sell "as is" to an up and coming mechanic with time and patience....I surely do appreciate the help today...with that many miles I do not want to create a money pit that i simply can't afford... thanks again...

You might want to consider this. Drive the vehicle down the road and when the noise appears....shift into neutral. If the noise goes away....or changes in intensity.....the problem is most likely in the tranny. if the noise continues....it's most likely an axle or bearing.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Sweet..! Can do that this weekend...Rained here in Kentucky everyday this week so have not done anything yet.....I appreciate the suggestion..Will post my findings later...Have a good weekend all