I have a catalytic monitor incomplete and it won't pass the smog check there are no trouble codes it is a toyota camry le 1997

290

Asked by Jun 03, 2015 at 06:31 PM about the 1997 Toyota Camry LE

I have a check engine light on befor and I
have fixing all the problem and the light off
now but the smog test still fails.

What part failed? Is it Calif? If so it will be specific. What would be great is if you can scan the test results and post them. NoX, CO, hydrocarbons etc....?

290

Ya California catalyst monitor and evap not ready

290

Catalyst not ready and evap not ready

Sounds like all of the "monitors" in the computer have not run to completion. Try driving the vehicle around for a few days and if the CEL does NOT come on ...take it for that Smog Test. If the light DOES come back on...you need a diagnosis and repair of a emission control device.

That above is a good point. Like a heated 02 sensor is not heating. Now EVAP not ready...not ready for what? that I don't get... unless it means it's not getting a signal..not a fault just no indication either way. But just like Lastchancegarage says.... it takes a while. Disconnect battery for about 10 minutes, and drive for as much as possible, the ECU will either re-learn or go to factory default. When I bought a new battery for my Corolla it ran like crap for about 5 miles, then purrs like it does now. But sometimes it takes longer. Much longer. Did the smog guy get that from an OBDII scan? If so exactly whet codes?

I read your question again..sorry..I see no codes there.

http://www.toyotapart.com/READINESS_MONITOR_DRIVE_PATTERNS_T-EG02-003.pdf

I put that separate to make it easy to link. You gotta see THAT ONE above it shows special specific drive patterns...warm up..miles to drive..idle...drive again..idle...IMPORTANT and may be the key to the whole thing

Preconditions The monitor will not run unless: MIL is OFF. ECT (Coolant Temp) is 176 F (80 C) or greater. IAT (Intake Air) is 14 F (–10 C) or greater

Your smog shop may not know what they are doing...if they don't follow those -- from Toyota -- to a tee

http://www.justanswer.com/toyota/5c4es-toyota-camry-can-t-evap-catalyst-monitors-reset.html ----- What you are wanting to accomplish is not to have the monitors reset but rather you want the Evap and Catalyst monitors to 'Run' and give a judgment as to whether they pass or fail. This can be a tricky process but the instructions are laid out in the Toyota Repair manual on pages 05-20 for the 4 cylinder 2AZ engine and on page 05-475 for the 6cylinder 1MZ/3MZ engine. What the Technician needs to do is drive the vehicle in the prescribed pattern laid out in the manual and the computer will then run the monitor and render judgment. ****!!*** If they do not perform the drive cycle just as the repair manual lays out, the computer will not run the monitor and will not render a judgment.

Gas tank must be between ½ and ¾ full. NO more No less

The monitor will not run because the difference between ECT (Coolant Temp) and IAT (Intake Air) is greater than 13 F (7 C

290

Thank you I will try this and let you know