1997 Toyota Camry 2.2L 4 cyl DOHC Had used engine put in. Gauges fuse (#21) blows.

Asked by Mar 15, 2014 at 04:24 PM about the 1997 Toyota Camry LE

Had recurring fuse blow in the #21 fuse for gauges, etc.  Put in circuit breakerEverything works OK except that the breaker trips every time I put it in Drive.  All other gears don't blow it.  Even with circuit turned off, battery drains quickly so I remove the negative battery cable after driving (in 2nd gear).  Computer diagnostic keeps showing P0773 "Defective Shift Solenoid E (open wiring or short circuit)."
What is Shift Solenoid E?  Haynes shows solenoid valves separate from solenoid wiring connectors at front of engine.  Where do I go from here?
Mike Dee

35,745

Just found this little paragraph: Transmission problem 1997 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 195000 miles I just figured what PO773 code is on a 1997 Toyota Camry. It is the Torque converter lock up solenoid. The solenoid has 2 bolts that can be undone from the top of the car. The solenoid is located behind park neutral safety switch. The plug has a pink with black strip. This is A140E transmission. The problem with the vehicle was the Check engine light was on and the RPM would not drop 300 RPM on the freeway at cruising speed. I only post this answer because the only thing I could find in the web was the lock up solenoid was on the valve body. Toyota calls this solenoid #3.

40

Thank you.! It has been tough to find info on this. Mik

110

I agree with reelinn68....(A140E) tranny....the torque converter solenoid is an external solenoid. It is located 4 or 5 inches above the park/neutral switch on the outside of transmission . It is hidden behind the bracket that secures the shifting mechanism so you cant see it until you remove that bracket. It is right behind the radiator to. I will try and attach photos to

110

Adding 2nd photo

10

If anyone wants the best answers and really knows what he is doing and he is the very best in what he does he is highly respected and known in the automotive industry he has more credentials than anyone I ever or individuals that has deal with him and he is very thorough and precised I use him a lot go to www.scottykilmer.com and ask him what you need he is the very best

40

where can I get shift solenoid e for my 97 camry

35,745

Here is an article I ran across. Will give you some trouble shooting tips. I can't find a solenoid E for sale anywhere. I would say try your local salvage yard or a tranny shop. The lock up clutch in the torque converter only comes into play at cruising speed - not from a stop. In fact, the lock-up clutch will only engage, to the best of my knowledge, in 4th gear. At low speeds and especially from a stop, the torque converter acts like an old-style TC.....fluid drive. The P0770 code you have is a generic shift solenoid electronic error message. It does probably signal a solenoid going bad.....but not the 3-4 solenoid, in this case. The problem you describe would be the 1-2 shift solenoid, if it is the solenoid. it is possible to get an interrmittent fault code (the P0770 is one of them) without a real, actual problem. I've had this before, with my '97 tranny. However, for the fault code to be a "ghost fault' you would need to have NO mechanical symptoms. You DO have a significant mechanical symptom. You say that the shift solenoids have been replaced ? Then I would suspect that your trans valve body has a fault or blockage. It is unlikely, as I explained above, that the lock up feature in the torque converter has anything to do with it. However, it is POSSIBLE that something in the torque converter has disintegrated..... and a bit of wreckage has clogged your valve body. That COULD be a bit of the lock up clutch pack, from the torque converter. Does the trans work correctly if you shift MANUALLY ? If you manually shift to "L" at rest, does the car accelerate as normal ? If the car will shift through the gears MANUALLY with no problem, then you do not have a problem with the gearpack portion of the trans. That leaves a hydraulic problem or a mechanical issue (with the torque converter). If you unplug the transmission electrical connectors, then drive the car, shifting manually , you'll know a lot more. If the trans will function OK manually, then, as I said, you have no gearpack problem. Since the solenoids have been replaced....that likely leaves only the valve body....or the torque converter...or the ECU. Much more likely that it is the trans, than the ECU. It would be good to know the other information from the OBD readout - i.e., what is referred to as the "snapshot". This is a record of the exact operating conditions, at the time the fault is recorded (load, IAT, MPH, etc.) Not every OBD II reader will store "snapshot" information. Oh, one other thing. What is the condition of the trans fluid ? I assume that the fluid has been changed recently, if the solenoids were replaced. But, neglected fluid can easily cause shift problems....if it is "dirty" enough". I got a used '94 once, and began having shift problems. I found that the trans fluid was terrible - black, like motor oil. Changing the fluid TWICE, along with the filter, corrected the problem within 500 miles....and it never gave trouble again. I only mention this, just in case it has been a long time since the fluid has been changed. In any case, you need to take your car to a qualified transmission shop or mechanic for diagnosis. If your torque converter is failing, then you will need a trans overhaul. If you valve body is clogged or malfunctioning.....then you'll need that overhauled or replaced. Either way, other than some simple diagnosis (as alluded to above)....this is beyond the scope of the driveway mechanic. Here's a diagram on this site also: http://www.justanswer.com/toyota/35v2t-hi-mike-1997-camry-4cyl- auto-check-engine.html You will most likely find that the only place you can purchase the SL shift solenoid E is through the dealer.