Check engine light

10

Asked by Mar 28, 2016 at 11:18 PM about the 1997 Toyota Camry CE

I have removed the negative battery post to disable the check engine light.
After a short time, the light comes back on again, the same day.
The small hand book says it is an electrical issue and not how to fix it.

11,010

did you actually have the computer scanned for codes? if so, the code will give you an idea of where to look for that "electrical issue"

10

I have not have a computer scan any codes. I don't have a computer or scanner for my car. I don't want to go to a mechanic. I want to know how to shut off the check engine light my self, without a computer or scanner.

11,010

Ok, here is the problem. The check engine light means that there is something wrong with the car. Even if it is running correctly there is a problem somewhere. You need to scan the computer for codes. AutoZone or some other auto parts stores will do this for free. However, you will have to either repair the problem yourself or have it repaired. Then the check engine light can be turned off. You can't disable the check engine light, and expect to pass emissions. The car will be scanned and you will fail. The only sure way is to repair the problem associated with the code and then shut it off with a scanner. If you can do the mechanic work, buy yourself a scanner that will erase codes, they are cheap on eBay. If not, the mechanic who fixes the problem will have a scanner and can turn off the trouble light. I hope I have made this clear.

11,010

Ianastasi, you need to have the computer in the car scanned for codes. The engine light means that there is a code and that means something wrong with the car. You must repair the problem before the check engine light can be turned off. AutoZone and some other auto part stores will scan for free, but you or a mechanic will have to do the repair associated with the engine code. Then you or the mechanic can shut off the check engine light. It has to be done with a scanner. They are cheap on eBay, or the mechanic who fixes the car will do it when he is done. You cannot turn the light off until the problem is fixed or it will just come back.

66,195

You are not going to be able to turn that check engine light off yourself. The problem of why the check engine light is coming on has to be fixed first. Go to like Auto Zone and have the computer scanned for a code or codes, they will do it for free, then post the code or codes back here for further assistance. You may be able to fix the problem, but you need to know what it is. Then the scanner will clear the codes, reset the check engine light.