Fuses

Asked by Sep 27, 2016 at 02:59 PM about the 1996 Toyota Camry LE

My gauges and windows recently quit . When I
checked the fuses, the one to the gauges (10amp)
was blown and was black all around the hole
where it goes. What could have caused this?

1,475

It was definitely a surge-- why that happened is a good question, could be an open wire grounding out somewhere (likely) or maybe the alternator (unlikely). Replace the fuse and see if you have the issue again.

Tried to replace it. When I did, the fuse was melted. The plastic piece broke off. Now the metal piece is stuck in there. Tried needle noses, won't budge. Now what ?

1,475

Wow... you will need to remove the fuse box, and replace it with a new one. This should be done by a professional do not attempt to do this yourself

1,475

It also sounds like you used a larger fuse then required, when this happens it takes longer for the fuse the pop under a surge load- which will likely melt the fuse housing, and potentially damage other fuses. It definitely sounds like you have an open wire somewhere, and that wire has grounded out against the body of the car.

1,475

By larger, I mean instead of putting in a 7a fuse you put in a 30a fuse.

That's what I was thinking. No, I didnt use a larger fuse. I know better. It required a 10 amp and that's what was melted in there. However, the battery light has been on in this car since I bought it. I bought the expensive stock battery that it requires. Have taken it several mechanics. (Even a dealer) No one can figure it out. I've also noticed that since this happened (gauges and windows) that my heater/ac fan is not working along with the ac, aannndd it's not changing into overdrive. However, the lights, radio, and wipers still work. It's crazy. Being that it's so old, and it has 365,000 miles on the original motor,(Only thing I've replaced is the rear seal , altenator, and battery) it might be time for a new car, lol.

Hi CT racer. Would loose battery cables have caused that surge

1,475

Loose cables could cause the issue, however there is no way a 10amp fuse would fuse to the fuse box, unless there was something wrong with the fuse itself.

1,475

Not changing into overdrive is a different issue than the melted fuse-- you have a grip of issues-- honestly, you need to sort the fuse box issue out first, then tackle the other issues