1995 Toyota Camry stalling on exceleration, then turns over but wont start, Fuel pump???

10

Asked by Jan 31, 2017 at 08:54 PM about the 1995 Toyota Camry LE

Fuel pump changed 3 times in 6 months, but car keeps stalling while excelarating.  Loses power and stalls, will turn over but not start.  I get towed.  Am always told it is fuel pump.  So I get it changed.  It runs for one month.  Then stalls again.  Change fuel pump again, runs for one month, then stalls again.  One time told I had loose clamp.  Had clamps and hoses replaced at fuel pump.  Stalled again today!  Now I am told today for the FOURTH time in 6 months, I need a new fuel pump !!  Help please!!  

10

AskTrannyMan, Thank you- I was just now told I need Toyota factory made fuel pump for $430. Instead of the $50 after market fuel pumps. Does that make sense? Very expensive. So I called Toyota dealership and they said no, that I did not need a factory made fuel pump that I can use after market one. I feel as female I am getting the run around and not sure what to do!

10

AskTrannyMan, Thanks! So I will have it towed to dealership in the morning. I will ask them to diagnose. If it is the fuel pump *again,* should I let the dealership fix it? Or take diagnosis to less expensive mechanic with my own parts from NAPA? Or will dealership make me use their expensive factory parts? Or what is behind curtain number 3? Just kiddding ;). I have it towed to dealership in the morning and let them diagnose and go from there?

10

Cool beans. Ok. I will tell them the whole world is watching too ;). Thanks!!

67,845

Has this vehicle frequently been driven with the fuel level in the fuel tank nearly empty? If so that is very hard on electric fuel pumps and could possibly be part of the problem. If it were mine and it needed another fuel pump I would get a genuine Toyota pump and order it online. That would save some cash. They are around $250 plus or minus a few bucks.

10

Bob, Thank you, I am good about filling tank by the time it is around 1/8 to 1/4 of a tank without getting too too low. It just got towed to the dealership this morning and am waiting for them to diagnose as maybe it is something else, but probably fuel pump again. When the tow truck guy banged under the gas tank under car, it started right up. Which has happened before. Does that indicate faulty fuel pump? Will know in a couple hours thanks!

67,845

Yup, banging on the tank and it starting indicates fuel pump or the wiring at the tank problem. The guys gave great advise above. I just prefer factory OEM electrical parts over the aftermarket stuff. Some aftermarket stuff is great, but some is not. It is difficult to figure out what is good and what is not. Keep us posted and best of luck.

10

Bob, Thanks so much. It is in the dealership right now getting diagnosed. Just waiting on a call!

4,400

NEW aftermarket parts are not always GOOD parts. This vehicle is a Classic Case . . t