Won't start if warm

Asked by Jul 12, 2016 at 09:04 PM about the 1995 Toyota Camry LE

Strange problem with my car.    Battery is good, but it won't crank in a
window of 20 minutes to hour and 15 minutes after I've turned off the car
when engine was hot.   It's as if saying the engine won't start if the temp is
within the range of 100 to 200F.   But would crank and start if it's not in that
range.    Have been thinking about replacing the starter, but don't want to
pay for it when it's actually not the problem.

Test the small solenoid wire when you try to start car. If it lights then change starter.

1,160

Clarification....when you say this engine "won't crank in a window"..."do you mean the battery seems to die and the engine will not crank over??....or...the engine cranks well...like the battery and starter seem good...but...it will not fire up and run?...when it's warmed up.

The battery doesn't seem to have a problem. It's just that when I turn the ignition switch, just hear a hum from the area around the starter, and nothing happens. This happens anywhere between 20 minutes to 70 minutes after I've turned off the engine. Less than 20 minutes or over 70 minutes, it starts!

1,160

Interesting...if indeed the starter motor area is "humming"....one might be tempted to replace the starter motor. Most pros would diagnose this issue... when it is happening... with a Digital/Volt/Ohm meter. With out this tool and some special training ....consider doing a visual inspection of the wires on the Battery and the Starter Motor. Look for something that looks like a white power like substance on the battery/starter motor connections.

1,700

Rover...any updates ...hopefully a fix for this issue?

I ended up taking it to the mechanic. He says it's a common problem with my car. After replacing the starter, all is OK. It might have been just the solenoid and I asked him. He said they don't sell it separate.

1,700

OK....good...you made the right decision. Starter Motor Solenoids are rarely sold separately any more. Replacing the entire SM is good preventive maintenance. Getting 10 years out of the original SM is great. Keep up with the Maintenance...and you should get another 10 years of this vehicle.