Why does my 1995 Toyota Camry all power and lights cut off when ignition is turned to off?

Asked by Oct 03, 2015 at 11:27 AM about the 1995 Toyota Camry DX

When I turn my car to completely off
all power cuts to headlights and dome
light except brake lights. Every time I
turn car on I have to reset radio.

Your brake lights should not come on, even if you push pedal, when you have key off or out of ignition switch. On a 1995 I'm not sure if the dome light is supposed to stay on for 20 seconds like the newer Camrys. Headlights - power is cut off.... no problem there But from what you describe your battery is not supplying power when key is off or out. This is an odd one. I suspect ignition switch problem.. But does the cat start every time without trouble?

39,985

If I remember correctly, the dome light stays on until the door is shut. If the switch is not in the correct position on the dome light, it will remain off even when the door is open. The radio should have a constant power wire to it at all times. This is what keeps your clock and presets working. I would start pulling fuses just to see if one is blown. If you have an after market stereo, there may be a fuse in the back of the stereo as well as one under the dash. Usually the fuse on the back of the stereo is for power, so it that one was bad, the stereo wouldn't work at all. Makes no sense as to why the brake lights would work with the key out. Are they staying on all of the time, or only when you push the brake pedal?

Concerning memory loss of your presets for your radio. IF your vehicle is equipped with the FACTORY radio......and still otherwise functions properly....you most likely have a internal radio//amplifier problem. The fact that all your lights go off when you turn off your ignition and lock/leave your vehicle appears to be a normal function. Check the OWNER'S MANUAL for details.

Brake lights are turn on only when peddle is pushed. Radio is not the issue, when I wired it in the red power wire for constant power even when car is off (to save presets time and all that on the radio) was dead. Dome light and head lights should be able to turn on even when the car is completely off but they dont. Basically like Fordnut said, no power is being supplied while the car is off and there is supposed to be. The car does start every time no problem. would this be considered an ignition switch problem or something?

Well...It appears you installed an aftermarket radio in this vehicle...and....that's when these other issues appeared?

I doubt it. I just purchased this car and it had an aftermarket radio installed already (much simpler) wich I swapped out for a better one. I noticed this strange problem after I installed the new aftermarket radio yes but maybe its connected.

OK....I suggest you disconnect ALL wires from power to this "better" aftermarket radio and see if this issue with the lights goes away.