strong fuel smell inside car

5

Asked by Oct 06, 2016 at 07:16 PM about the 1994 Toyota Camry LE

strong fuel smell inside car on drivers side when driving and even stronger
when i turn the car off. i am thinking that it is the charcoal canister?::  can't find
any leaks along fuel rail or around fuel pump or tank. No trace of fuel
undervehicle....any ideas?

6,755

Yes, sounds like the evap system relief valve is stuck open

1,190

Are you sure it's not a bad/leaking Gas Cap?

5

Yes, I am sure. The vapor is so strong inside the car that I get nauseous just driving a couple blocks. I read that it's possible to remove the canister and blow it out with an air compressor? I know that new they run around $250+.....might try the yards and see if I can go pull one off myself??:

1,190

Any warning lights on or flashing? Use caution when "blowing out" an evap system with compressed air. You could blow the canister apart. Run your hand UNDER the canister and see if there is an opening with a filter inside. You might be able to remove that filter and clean it.

1,190

Any good news about the issue with this vehicle?

10

Same as my 1994 Toyota Camry LE. No Engine Warning light just excessive strong gas fumes filling the inside of the car when I drove it. Didn't smell gas outside or in the engine area. No leaks beneath it. It stayed at the mechanics for a week because they could not smell fumes until they took the back seat out and checked the tank. It had cracked. I replaced it. It got rid of the fuel smell coming inside for the most part but I kept smelling slight bursts of fuel on the driver's side but outside was so bad I couldn't stand to roll down the windows. I read a lot of these threads (thanks to all who posted) and had the charcoal canister replaced as well, but I still get a slight burst of fuel smell inside while driving and a slight smell outside back right. It is much better. My next attempt to clear it completely is to have an emissions test and a smoke test performed to find possible leaks . It's been such a great car, I hate to lose it easily. 1994CamryStillCheckingAt210000Miles

1,190

Very interesting. keep us up to date.