my car won't start. but heard click sound.

145

Asked by Feb 03, 2015 at 02:30 PM about the 1994 Toyota Camry LE

my car won't start. battery is 12.5V. there is click sound when turning the key. but no crank.  sometimes after I checked battery, tighten the connection, then car could start. now seems I don't have lucky anymore. in this case, what could me the problem?

How old is the battery?

145

3 years old. pretty strong battery.

210

Most likely your starter needs new contacts in solenoid. However, those contacts usually not available in the regular parts stores and only in special stores. Most likely there is a "starter shop" in the town that will replace them for you.

145

Hi, Vitasmotorz, Isn't the sound from solenoid? if so, that mean solenoid is fine. mmh, no the sound seems like from relay. not from solenoid.

210

Yes in fact your solenoid is working. However your contacts are worn and your starter does not start cranking. I had the same problem and was able to buy those contacts from "starter shop" and replaced them myself. Here is a link for reference only http://www.discountstarterandalternator.com/p-6129-starter-solenoid- repair-kit-contact-plunger-set-acura-dodge-lexus-toyota.aspx? CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=COLiwazJxsMCFY17fgodPoIA_Q

Best Answer Mark helpful
210

First link doesn't work so here is another link just for example how it looks: http://www.amazon.com/STARTER-SOLENOID-REPAIR-Contact- Plunger/dp/B00DQ9V5Z6

145

thanks Vitasmotorz. seems you are right. you said you changed the solenoid contacts yourself. what is your car brand? how do I locate my starter ? is it easy to replace it? thank you so much.

145

BTW, my car is 1994 camry LE.

210

Here is a link that might help you even it is for older car I believe: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/102-1st-2nd-generation-1983-1986- 1987-1991/354129-how-replace-starter-motor-solenoid-contacts- intermittent-starting-problem.html

200

i have the same problem, my battery was good, starter was good but my car won't crank. An auto shop tested my starter and said it was good

85

check the wires and make sure everything is tightened down properly

180

I have the same problem I have an 02 Toyota corolla I replace the battery and even got the starter tested it was fine it's clicking when I try to crank it

250

My 95 Toyota Camry just started doing the same thing as discribed above. No crank no start. All lights work. Battery is good. Tested alternator, good. Turn the key and just hear a single click sound. I touch the solenoid while someone else turns the key and it is obvious that the click is coming from starter solenoid. Any suggestions? Where would I find my starter relay fuse?

10

I just fix my 97 Toyota Camry same problem it would click and then most times it would start if I tryed it again. contacts in the solenoid $3.50 at a local alternator-generator shop, easy to replace hardest part is getting the starter off

100

I have the same problem with my 1994 Toyota Camry as of October 26th, 2016... I have had a new battery and starter installed back in May of 2016... I don't know why but it seems there's a drain do you think it might be a fuse problem for me

50

to no. 150 and 110. I encountered your problem recently and I dismantled the starter motor and brought it to the shop. They had me bought a new solenoid sw and replaced it then it was alright thereafter. But my problem now is different bcoz the there is no response, not even a click sound, whenever I turn the ignition key. This condition started after a tool fell on the running engine and created a short circuit between the solenoid and the engine body until the engine stopped running. I am thinking of the relay but with doubt so I decided to check on the fuses tomorrow. What is more probable in my case?

145

my handy neighbour helped me fixed problem. seems it's contact issue. He bought a cable. I payed him 100$ for job and parts.

180

Rapid clicking is noit caused by a defective solenoid contacts. With bad solenoid contacts you on hear one click and nothing happens. Multiple clicking is cause by the solenoid re-engaging, As the solenoit connect the starter motor the volatge from the battery goes too low to maintain the solenoid pulled in and the solenoid releases and because you have the ignition switch turn to the crank position the solenoid re-eangages and will continue to turn on and off as long as you have the ignition switch turned on. There are two possibilities for this truoble...1 a weak battery..make sure battery terminals are tight...to check for this turn on your head light and crank the engine, if the light gets very dim or goes out or turn on and off in sync with the solenoid ...you've got a battery problem. The second possibility is a loose connection in your starter cables...do the same test as above and if it's a bad connection to the starter your head light will dim only little and may flicker a little in sync with the clicking of the solenoid. Check cable on battery terminals and on starter and ground.

10

I have a similar problem, very sporadic,sometimes it just does a clicking sound and does not start, try a few more times and ok. Then its fine for days and then randomly comes back. I got a new battery they said was probably the cause, but it did it again, so they tell me its the Starter.I bought a used Starter for $50.00 and am trying to do it myself. But the used one looks really OLD so now Im thinking if Im gonna do this I should get a new one, not too expensive, but now its been starting fine for 3 days? If the problem is NOT the Starter Im wasting my time and money?

What would drain the battery ,if it's just sitting there

Check all connections starting from battery, i had this same problem ended up being the ground to the body was severely rusted. Broke the bolt so i grounded to the fender, worked great after