Car intermittently will not start. When it does start can drive but when u turn it off and try to restart immediately will not restart. Does not crank but do have dash power? New starter and battery!

230

Asked by Nov 12, 2013 at 03:05 PM about the 1994 Toyota Camry LE

230

We have to keep it running while we pump. Won't start back up sometimes for hours. Also, Mine doesn't do it everyday but seems to act up more in colder weather. Changing starter relay today and hoping for a miracle!!!

33,435

I had the same problem with my ' 89 pick up and my ' 95 Camry. I just ran a jumper wire from the ignition wire, to the positive on my battery, then to a push button I installed under the dash. Problem solved. I was told that there is a module on the underside of your distributer that can go bad and cause that problem. Could also be the ignition control module. You can get one on Ebay for about 40 bucks.

90

You need to have the wire going to the starter checked for power when you turn the key to start If you have power their when it gets hot it is not the switch if no power then you need to check power from the switch if no power out of the switch then replace switch if you have power out of the switch the you need to check the wiring to the starter You can have some of the wiring breaking down when it gets hot even the battery cables can break down when they get hot because their is more of a amp load . Every thing will work and come on but when you turn key to start it want in gauge the starter because of the load demand all so check all connection pos. and neg. If you have a bad connection it will do the same when it gets hot I would check them first.

120

My 95 camry just started doing this today and the techs at firestone are stumped and so am I! Was driving the car along about 40mph and the car lost all power including power steering but did not sputter out and die but wouldn't restart after I shut it off. About 30 minutes later I cranked it again for the hell of it and it fired right up and made it to Firestone without a problem. They said they have never seen this before and don't know what to do next. They did say they thought the fuel pump was fine though.

110

We had the exact same problem. Spent money replacing the sensor and starter. Didn't fix the problem. Midas said the fuel pump was okay. Went to Goodyear. It was the fuel pump. Replaced the fuel pump, cleaned the tank, and replaced the injectors and the car works like a charm. It has been 8 months so far and no issues.

120

How much were the repairs for all of that? That's two people now where the fuel pump was the culprit. Which makes sense to me because the car lost power while driving.

110

It was $850.00 at Goodyear. My brother had the same problem with his Camry. It is pretty easy to diagnose. They take the back seat out to access the fuel tank, remove the pump and look at it. It took Goodyear a 1/2 hour to tell me. They brought me into the Garage to show me the pump and the tank.

420

I have the same problem basically. In the morning, I wake up and drive to the gas station, shut car off, go inside, come back out to start it and it won't! I try starting it a handful of times and then eventually it does start and I have no more problems the rest of the day. It happens almost daily. I have a 1997.

110

We had the exact same problem. The car would start and work fine. We would then stop for a while turn the car off and when we would come back and try to start the car, it would not turn over. We would back 30 to 45 minutes and then it would start. We also had a check engine light on. Autozone was saying it was the Oxgen Sensor and that our battery was bad. We changed the battery and O2 sensor but it still did not resolved the problem....FINALLY we found out it was a bad fuel pump and that the tank was full of crap. Replaced the Fuel Pump, cleaned the tank and now the car runs like a charm!

30

anyone ever had the starter drive come off three new starter did the same thing. teeth on fly wheel good never saw this problem before

30

Our 2003 Camry sounds exactly like b0141586 above. Cranks and runs, shut it off and it does nothing for about 45 mins. Happens once a month or so. Seems to be worse in hot weather. Why would a fuel pump make the starter not turn over?

33,435

John, yeah the starter has nothing to do with the fuel pump. I think people are just not explaining the situation correctly. In your case, you may have the following as the culprit: Ignition module, neutral safety switch, or the ignition switch. Then there's always the oddball things like a bad starter relay that becomes loose, or a corroded battery or starter cable. Here's a short video on how to diagnose the issue..................................... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpPOcO6f798

10

I have a 2003 Hyundai Elantra with 120K miles. It has had an intermittent starting problem for about a year now. I have changed the ignition switch, starter, starter relay, battery, and coils. Every time I would replace a part it would run good for a few weeks then just suddenly not start for a couple days. Lately it has only given us about two or three good starting days and won't start for about a week now. I have had it for 10 years, so I bought a new car, but I would like to get to the bottom of the problem so my kids can drive it. It has been a good car no major problems until this started happening. I don't want to just keep throwing parts in hoping it will work.

10

Darleen 5 minutes ago Best Answer I have the same problem with my 1994 Toyota Camry as of October 26th, 2016... I have had a new battery and starter installed back in May of 2016... I don't know why but it seems there's a drain do you think it might be a fuse problem for me

Darleen, we have had the same problem twice in the past and BOTH times it ended up being the Fuel Pump. Each time we changed the battery, changed 02 sensor and something else. When we took it to a reputable place, they found in 15 minutes it was the Fuel Pump.