Camry cranks but won't start, what could it be?

Asked by Jul 15, 2017 at 12:27 PM about the 1993 Toyota Camry LE

I have a 93 Toyota Camry that we just put in
a different (not brand new) fuel pump and
it's still cranking but won't start. I need to
know what we should check on it or try to
get it running. About 2wks (I'm terrible with
time) before it literally died we had the bk
seat full of kids and it kept putt puttting. But
then once the kids were out it was fine, we
figured then that we'd have to replace the
fuel pump. And then one day we're driving
and Bam it just dies out of nowhere and
won't start again. Can anyone tell me what it
could be or what I should try plz. I have
6kids and this is our only ride. Thanks

3,260

When you changed the fuel pump did you check or replace the fuel filter? Have you checked for SPARK to the spark plugs when the engine is cranking and not starting?

He didn't change the filter and he hasn't been able to check anything else yet. We did get the fuel pump from another 93 Toyota Camry (identical to mine) from a junk yard though. We have 7kids ages 12-5, and can't afford a brand new one right now. It's been sitting here for a little over a month. I'm just trying to see what it could be. But if there's noise at the fuel pump when u try to start it could it be needing a new filter? Could we try to clean the one that's in it instead of getting a brand new (we'd rather have brand new)? Thank you for answering me and trying to help. He has family members that would know what to do but they don't have time to look at it for us.

3,260

Ok...understand your situation. If you remove the fuel filter and....noting the INLET SIDE...clean that inlet with alcohol. Then...this what I do. I blow into the inlet with my mouth...creating a good seal. If my checks puff out like a balloon....the filter is plugged If I can blow though the inlet with little or no resistance...the filter is reusable...but...a new one is suggested. Now I am not suggesting someone puts their mouth on something that has gas in it....but....that is part of MY diagnostic routine for checking a possible fuel delivery problem. Also I suggest you check the quality of the engine oil. Pull the dip stick and feel and smell the oil at the end of the DS. If it smells like GAS....do not start the engine.

3,260

Sara....did you ever resolve the issue with this vdhicle?

Unfortunately not. My husband said he doesn't even know where the fuel filter is. If he knows what's wrong with the car, he'd be able to fix it(having the parts to do so), but where he don't know what's wrong-its like he don't want to go outside and try to figure it out without some kind of help with him. He's not sure where everything is located on it. His Uncle and Brother-in-Law both have the skills to take a look at it and diagnose it, but they just won't!! (Because we don't have money to pay them, we've watched them fix our nephews car and our sisters) Its so unbelievable that because we don't have money to pay them, they don't have time to help, when my husband helped them fix theirs. It's really sad. Im so sorry to put all this out here to a stranger, its just I've been ready to just sale it or take it to the junkyard but I know if I'd do that then I'd be in a worse situation (without a broken down car). I'm just praying for a miracle now Honestly. But thank you, you made my day by asking about it! I sincerely appreciate you! Thanks.

3,260

Sarah...did you ever resolve the issue with this vehicle?