I have a 1991 Toyota Camry Wagon. 4 cylinder, automatic. The brake lights don't work. I also have to push the "shift lock override" button to get the car out of park.

Asked by Dec 14, 2014 at 12:45 PM about the 1991 Toyota Camry DX Wagon

Someone suggested replacing the "brake light switch" and I also believe that depressing the brake pedal should allow me to get the car out of park.  Does that sound like a winner?  Where is the brake light switch?  Thanks

38,285

The brake light switch is under the dash on the very top of your brake pedal.

Do you think it is related to the shift lock override? I also noticed that tapping on the brake does not turn off cruise control. Related?? Anyone know? Thanks

Did it work for you? Because I replaced the brake switch right behind pedal, all bulbs, checked fuses & mine still doesn't work but from my battery dying so much.. I fix that connection.. and a few days later. The car won't start or click. Crank nothing. I'm so confuse, I think it might be the green thick fuses in the box connected to the red wiring to battery because sparks happened when jumping it so many times. Or could it