1991 Toyota Camry LE - V6 Engine. Loud ticking noise that is RPM sensitive at front head after replacing timing belt.

Asked by May 31, 2015 at 03:22 PM about the 1991 Toyota Camry LE

Recent replacement of timing belt and water pump at 137,000 miles. Prior to this, the engine ran good with no unusual noises. Checked several times for correct placement of the belt with timing marks at both cams and the crankshaft. After replacing all covers and starting the engine, there is a loud ticking noise that increases with engine speed.  I had the timing checked by a shop and it was right on.  The engine starts quickly, runs well, good acceleration, but the gas mileage is terrible. The shop where I took it said the problem was a bad injector.  I have pulled the connecters on the front three injectors and don't hear any decrease in the noise.  I have checked and re-checked all of the vacuum lines and connectors and they are all correct.  Also, the only trouble code I have seen is for the "Knock Sensor", which I guess is correct given the noise from the engine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Any help would be appreciated,

375

it's very hard to locacte a knocking ,or ticking noise,I use a stephoscope pick one up at local autoparts,take tool and start around the area you worked on,did you replace the timing tensioner,check belts,better yet remove them,this will reduce noise.GOOD LUCK!

I did that. There is so much noise, I can't identify where it is coming from. I also removed the front head valve cover and inspected the valve gear and all looked good, nothing out of the ordinary. I did not renew the timing tensioner as it looked OK when I replaced the belt. I will try taking the belts off to reduce the noise and see what I find. Thanks for your help.

38,355

Try replacing the knock sensor. http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/knock-sensor-symptoms.html