engine leaks

25

Asked by Jul 10, 2008 at 11:51 PM about the 1991 Toyota Camry DX

I have replaced transmission, rack & pinion, now I was told engine leaks, told probably all seals need replacing., I put about a quart of oil in ever 2 weeks.  No AC in car .I paid $ 800.00 3 years ago.  I have had a blast in this car & wonder if it is worth fixing.   

210

It all depends if it's worth it to you in my opinion. To me, if it's already paid off...it's a keeper. If it's fun and cheap on gas and insurance...it's a keeper. I work for a Honda Dealership and our customers are holding on to these older Japanese cars for the reliability issues as well as fuel saving econo boxes. New Nissans, Toyotas and Hondas are getting more expensive because of the high demand for them now. I see Hummers and C-6 Corvettes being traded in for a Civic or Accord almost everyday. To be honest with you...if you are going to replace all the seals and gaskets...you might as well have the whole engine rebuilt. It may seem like a lot of money ( $ 1,500-$2,200. ) but in reality it would equal to be about 4 or 5 monthly car payments for lets say...a new Camry. Good luck!//Charlie

155

well i had an import and loved it but it was doing the same thing and had high kms but eventually got rid of the car for a newer one with low kms, i'd try lucas oil stabilizer it helps quite a bit. it could be either valve seals, or who knows your oil pan could have a crack, most likely its your valve seal tho, not worth fixing unless you want to dig into your pockets.....but hey if its accually leaking from the motor when you park somewhere from a long drive look under the car before you drive away and see if there's a bit of fresh oil on the ground....otherwise i'd say try lucas oil stableizer and you should go through less oil......the thicker the oil the better..:) hope this helped

150

yes first check to make sure its leaking out , IE a puddle on the grouns, then the most likely cause is your head gaske, wich is a relatively cheap job. if it turns out to not be that things can get a little more expensive but with the price of gas now adays its probably worth it to get it fixed