Where is the fuel pump located on a 1990 Camry

30

Asked by Mar 24, 2015 at 03:38 PM about the 1990 Toyota Camry LE

In the tank

30

So I have to drop the tank?

No. You can get to it by taking back seat bottom off, I will see if I can find an image or instructions

http://www.ehow.com/how_7613211_replace-1990-camry-fuel-pump.html

.

click on the images

30

The only thing accessible threw back seat is the float assembly..

45,885

The fuel pump is buried in the middle of all the float assembly stuff in the above pic that Fordnut sent you. You will need to pull it all out of the tank. You will need to disassemble the float mechanism to remove the metal cylinder in the middle which is your fuel pump. Here's a pic.

Best Answer Mark helpful
45,885

Here's the fuel pump itself.

30

The fuel pump is not located with the float assembly already pulled that out. It is like a foot further back from the float assembly. It's not accessible through the access hole under the seat.

45,885

Did you take a screw driver and hammer and unscrew the top retainer ring which holds everything in? It makes no sense that there's an access if you can't get the pump out. How wide is the access hole right now?

45,885

I can't find any info on how to properly remove the fuel pump for a '90 Camry. The closest thing I can find is this video on a Corolla. This is basically how every fuel pump comes out via the rear seat access panel that I have ever replaced. Sorry about the confusion. I think that above illustration is for a 99 Solaris. Even if you were to drop the tank, the only access hole should be the one that your are in. The only thing I can think of is that it's mounted externally of the fuel tank like the old VW cabriolets. Look under the car just forward of the right rear wheel against the frame. Do you see a cylinder like the one pictured above? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hlcQd9Rwk8

45,885

John, finally found the answer. Your not going to like it. On this vehicle Yes, the pump comes separate, and you have to remove pump from the fuel pump bracket, its a one man job, The best way to do this is to remove the filler tube to the tank, and drain the fuel out with a siphon hose, so that the tank is light. Then jack up car as high as you can and use jack stands, then disconnect the wire connector and the fuel line, and then remove the 2 strap bolts and tilt tank to clear the exhaust and then lower the tank (this is the reason for draining tank) then remove the 7 bolts that are retaining the fuel pump cover and then remove pump bracket, then change over pump.

45,885

Here is the pic that goes with your car. Notice where the pump is located? To the right of the float assembly. What a terrible design. Never would have thought in a million years Toyota would make two separate access ports. Well, I just learned something new! Sorry for the mass confusion.

30

That's more like it thanks for your efforts. I knew I wasn't loosing my mind. I have changed several and everyone has been in the access hole under the seat. The wire runs straight towards the rear of car on top of the tank I imagine it turns once out of sight

Its in the tank you have to drop the tank to get to it!!!

COME PEOPLE! LET's GIVE THE CORRECT INFO or get off the SITE!