how do I make the plastic that protecs the gages not get all smuggy and ugly on my 2003 toyota avalon xls

Asked by Apr 28, 2013 at 09:50 PM about the 2003 Toyota Avalon XLS

how do I make the plastic that protecs the gages not get all smuggy and ugly on my 2003  
toyota avalon xls. every time i clean my car and wipe the plastic that protecs the gages,
the plastic gets all nasty and foggy. when I bought the car they were smuggy but then
after the time they get even worse. is their anything that i could use to clean the plastic
and not make smuggy?

Never dust it dry and use a plastic cleaning product. All the major car cleaning manufacturers have one.

you could try a cottonball of Rain-X and see if this helps, or attacks the plastic, on an inconspicuous corner....if it works well coat the rag with the stuff~

Not sure what you're using to clean your interior....But I've never had a problem using Armor-All protectant on the dash and plastic gauges (just as long as you apply small amounts and be careful to wipe away any excess to avoid any residue that might build up). Maybe try this all-purpose interior Armor-All (instead of the regular protectant)'s designed with cleaning interior plastics in mind: ash_wax/cleaners_degreasers/?quantity=1

Stoners Invisible Glass is great for plastic interior parts. Reapply when you get smudges.

I swear to God, as strange as it may sound, you can find answers for almost any question - such as this one - on YOU TUBE! That's the first place I went when I was having problems with my real wood floors at home. Tons of videos showing floors being cleaned by the homeowner. Good Luck :)

TSG, that ain't helpin' man----punch up a couple of tasty bytes for us please~

75 I sound like a MAN? I AINT NO MAN!!!!! LOL

no TSG, I'm a damned hippie, everyone is dude, every sentance ends in to meet you are one fine looking woman. I certainly stand corrected. Here's a sunflower painting I did a few years back, feel free to reprint it the damned Art House Gallery decided to keep is a tough gig~

not everything that's graced the annals of the world wide web is worth appreciate you mentioning this to us, but we are very visual people and as you know a picture is worth a thousand onions~

not by choice, they did an MRI, and said "you shall work no more", not even pushing a broom, apparently looking at pictures of my brain is akin to looking at dirty pictures.

sorry, couldn't resist after that MAN comment to TSG. Just don't start expecting me to sound like the proverbial "blonde" though I thought I gave myself away with the floor cleaning comment! Seriously though, I replaced the generator in my Austin Healey some 20 or 30 yrs ago........ALONE! I love cars-can't work on them, don't want to sell them, so I do the internet marketing. Am not pushing THAT here as I don't think it's what CarGurus had in mind when they started this Q&A forum. It's interesting to read your questions and I feel your pain - wish I had the answers.

I often think of women down on the farm where there is only work to do from before sunrise till after the sun has set, there ain't no time for purdyin' there is cows to milk eggs to gather chickens to feed, fields to tend, one learns how to fix and overheating John Deere, put an egg in the radiator..of course~

Judge Roy!! YOU did the SUNFLOWER??!! It's superb, Dude Seriously...I see a lot of talent. Wow.......I am I-M-P-R-E-S-S-E-D!

I kinda fell in love (not really) with Nikki Trevette. will see if I can come up with that thread and share that one...features about 50-70 of my oils--hold on-

OK, I'm outta here. Everyone go buy a car, sell a car, break a car, ask a question about a car...............I'm leaving before I'm invited to! I don't think this site is considered social networking....... :::grin:::

Just saw your latest response, Judge. I'll be back tomorrow......would love to see the art work. Thanks

Michael Tutty

You might try a product called Plast-X by McGuiars. It cleans all sorts of stuff off plastic, and polishes out minor scratches at the same time. It is mainly for exterior plastic lenses such as you headlamps, but is will work on the cover for your gauges too. Just don't use too much pressure. Of course, if you have done permanent damage, you may have to replace the lens anyway.

Look at post #13 for a product that works. -------- in-instrument-cluster/page2

Well if you have used the McG's type of product and have a clean scratch free(er) lens; you can get some SC Johnsons Future acrylic floor wax (OLD name) Pledge Floor Care, Tile & Vinyl Floor Finish(NEW name) and wipe some on-let dry and you will be back to OEM, or better, looking lenses. No -not the outside lenses.... the interior lenses ;0)