95 Toyota Avalon from HELL!!! Blowing smoke, fuel leaking from exhaust manifold, check engine light flashing, stuttering, hesitation, stalling, unbelieveable amounts of white smoke...

Asked by Jun 16, 2014 at 12:41 PM about the 1995 Toyota Avalon 4 Dr XLS Sedan

I have a '95 Avalon 3.0. It sat for a while and built up junk in the fuel tank. It was driven for a while like that until the fuel pump died. I put a new fuel pump on it, but now I'm having all kinds of other problems. It's blowing an unbelievable amount of white smoke from the exhaust, I have white smoke and sometimes gasoline seeping out of my exhaust manifold, my check engine light blinks occasionally and I lose all power when trying to accelerate and am met with hesitation and sometimes stalling out. At other times the ground behind my car is soaked from gasoline spitting out of the exhaust pipe. I've read a million things from a million poplpe and no one can seem to even come up with an idea as to what it may be. I am NOT taking it to a shop to get screwed over by shitty mechanics but Im at a stand still. The jokes of employees at Autozone and Advance Auto are of course no help, they dont even know how combustion engines work... PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE I SET THIS P.O.S. ON FIRE AND WALK AWAY!!! Yes, Im aware I need to clean the tank, please dont waste my time giving me advice about doing so. Im losing no fluids (oil, coolant, etc) head gasket appears to be fine. I read somewhere that blinking check engine light means misfire? Not sure, but I suppose it could explain the fuel leaking out of my exhaust manifold...

3,645

get a can of "SEA FOAM" from pretty much any auto shop (it's like $10). Put it in the tank with your next fill up. It should help a lot with the build up and gunk. You could have a clog in the throttle body that would be building up pressure and causing fuel to leak out. But def try the sea foam. Worked wonders for me.

Sea Foam is a part of every service I do to my vehicles. This car has already seen 2 cans of it in the last month, no improvement. Thanks though.

This isnt some quick fix job. Im very knowledgeable when it comes to automobiles and their repair...this is one just has too much going on at once for me to diagnose the exact cause of the problem. Ive never experienced this from a Toyota, or any other car for that matter. Im stumped.

3,645

No, it is not some quick fix. But in my experience, loss of fuel, engine misfires and loss of power esp after knowing the fuel pump was replaced from being damaged from bad gunky fuel, you might want to try something inexpensive first rather than dig in lots of money for an engine rebuild. And like you said "I'm stumped" so why not try a $10 remedy before a $2000 remedy, and if it works then we can all do cartwheels if not then it was only $10... not a huge hit in the wallet.

63,135

Check your intake gasket,for.leak,s,and any other vacume line,s all so,it will cause your sensor,s to over load and dump fuel.

Chris, please read before responding. I already stated in my last response that I have put 2 cans of sea foam through the car already. I appreciate the input however.

3,645

srry bout that. check your gaskets for leaks and vacume lines also like TST said. How ever it does sound like you are getting a lot of back pressure from your fuel line system. I'd check the throttle body and even the injectors. If something made it past the fuel filter it could be clogging the injector.

Thats what I was thinking. Clogged injector...Ive examined allt he injectors while running and they all SEEMED to have been functioning properly, I can hear them all engaging and dis-engaging, I have not yet checked the throttle body though, thats the next step. All the vacuum hoses seem to be in place and in good shape, so Im thinking its not a vacuum leak...I couldnt be that lucky haha.

3,645

That's the best suggestion I can give is the throttle body. Also if you have the means read the code and see which cylinder is mis firing. you may need to replace that 1 injector.... BTW you should probably clean your tank too.... I had to... lol

I haven't run OBD, the jagoffs at AutoZone say they can only get codes for 96'& up...and I'm not about to go buy one for this. I'm not sure if there is a misfire, I've just read about the symptoms I'm having when its flashing and it sounds to me to be a misfire indication, not sure which cylinder though. It's not actually my car, it's a girl's I'm kinda seeing, who had some work done to it in the past by some shady inidividuals...which is why I haven't dropped the tank yet... her dumbass x boyfriend had a fart can welded on it at a muffler shop where he "knew the guy" and the moron doing the work welded an unnecessary mount dead center of the gas tank... so yeah, I'm coming behind trying to diagnose, repair and clean up of other asshole's work as well... it's not a good time.

Idk if any ever got to answer this but what really happened is that underneath the vacuum line behind the engine close to the passenger side there's a line with a knitted casing covering metal and it's also rapped in a rubber casing all around the other wrap and inside that wrap lol there's a leak that's making all that smoke come out and also make it run like shit. Bad fuel mixture that makes your car blow clouds every time you accelerate . If im not mistaken it only happens when you drive or rev the engine