is it possible to buy a new/refurd starter and it could be bad?

Asked by Dec 16, 2015 at 09:45 PM about the 1995 Toyota Avalon 4 Dr XL Sedan

Last week i brought a new/refurb starter from autozone.My origional starter would turn over at least on the second turn of the ignition.Ok so i brought a autozone starter and got a mechanic to put it on.So when he told me to start it it started fine no problems.So i let the car set for two days and when i go to start it it screetched so on the second turn on the ignition she started.Now this been the second week since the new starter it's done it 4 more times ive been counting.One mechanic says sometimes the starter needs to settle with the flywheel the mechanic who put it on says take it back and gt another.What you think the problem is and what shall i do?

Bad overrunning clutch on the drive gear of the starter. Get another, not

Rebuilt starters from places like Autozone tend to be garbage. They only replace the bad parts and leave the old parts in that work. There is no such thing as "settle" with the flywheel. Either it works or not. What a load of BS!

Really! That mechanic is trying to take you for s fool harrymack. Don't allow it. That is the biggest crock... settle... oh lawd

It's absolutely possible to get a defective starter right out of the box. The so called "mechanic" who said that the starter has to settle in is either a dope or trying to take you for a ride!! Before you install starter number 2 though, have the reputable mechanic inspect the flywheel ring gear for chipped or broken teeth. If it checks out ok, install the starter and, if need be, shim it to get the correct starter drive to flywheel ring gear clearance. I don't know specifically what that clearance should be on your car but I'm sure someone else can chime in on that for us. HTH. -Jim

My suggestion is spend the extra money for a Denso Starter, (yeah, I know easy for me to say not my money) at $220+ There is nothing wrong with Bosch, but they are a German car product reverse-engineered to fit a Japanese design and the Denso should need no shims. Part Number: NP2800171 Manufacturer Number: 280-0171 --- And please pay attention to what Jim said. The flywheel gear cogs need to be inspected each and every one of them, even one broken or chipped can cause the starter gear to not engage and cause even more damage. This process is time consuming, the flywheel/engine must be rotated by hand all the way around 360° while one mechanic turns engine and another inspects. One mechanic doing it alone could possibly miss something, having to turn engine and go back and forth to look. Best wishes ~`David

And Jim --- on dope, not just a dope. That still floors me that a mechanic would insult somebody's intelligence to that extent. harrymack, don't mean to refer to you in third person as if leaving you out of discussion. But that is what the guy did, insult you to the core

I agree!! -Jim