ABS bracking 2005

Asked by Feb 24, 2010 at 02:10 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Aveo LS Hatchback

abs bracks  peddle get rock hard and  viberets somtimes oabs on most of the time  my 2005 aveo only has 27000 km.  id like to know what going befor going to dealership

65

the brakes do get a little hard but not " rock hard" . it could be the early intervention of the ABS even before it has sensed a loss of traction in the tyres. please check the ECU. It definitely looks like an Engine Management error.

30

My 2005 chevy aveo ls hatchback has over 60,000 miles and when the temp gets below freezing (like 20 degrees or less) the same scrubbing, vibration and hard to steer occurs when I barely touch the brake pedal while going 10 miles per hour. The sound is awful and I had firestone check the brakes for visual signs of damage, they saw no signs of anything wrong and said I was the second customer with a 2005 aveo to come in with that braking problem. I hope it will be covered under my warranty because some major systems are covered beyond the 36,000 mile point, like rust damage and power train, ignition is all covered to 80,000 miles. Go to gmac website to find out what components of what systems are covered and for how long. I plan on asking for a one-time good customer 50% discount for this repair if I am told that it is not covered at all. GM dealership once gave me a 50% discount on a compressor because the expected life of the compressor was five years and the compressor failed at year number four. The compressor would have been free if it went out before 36,000 miles. I also received a letter from GM protection plan extended warranty which I purchased for 72 months and/or 72,000 miles, the letter informed me that if I did not replace the timing belt BEFORE 60,000 miles that my POWERTRAIN COMPONENTS WOULD NOT BE COVERED IF ENGINE DAMAGE OCCURRED FROM THE TIMING BELT BREAKING APART, in order to keep my powertrain warranty in force I had to replace the timing belt and upon checking the other drive belt we found that it was cracking and would have broken soon. My advice is to replace BOTH BELTS (timing and drive belt) and keep records of the repair in order to avoid catastrophic engine failure and complete engine replacement which is a well-known occurrence when these timing belts break. Other than 2 belts, one battery, oil changes, tires and regular brake pads, I had the coolant flushed out with no major problems at all with this car until this ABS braking problem started. Also, the ABS brakes became standard on the aveo as of june 2005, I bought my car in january 2005 and am still unsure as to whether my car has the abs system or not, as some early models do not have abs at all. Firestone seems to think I do have the abs braking system and that the abs system is the problem. I am going to the dealership since I cannot get resolution elsewhere. Wish me luck, thankx.