3.0L V6 Engine Performance

75

Asked by Jul 20, 2008 at 05:25 PM about the 1994 Toyota 4Runner 4 Dr SR5 V6 4WD SUV

is there any thing i can add or do to my 3.0L efi V6 engine in my 94 4runner to make it faster?

20

off-road exhast

75

wat exactly would this do?

45

ya you can make any car faster ts just a matter of how you want to do it the money time and knowing what to do..... add a cold air intake headers and exaust.... you can have to block board over add fordged pstons get the head shaved ported and polished and turbo the shit out of it.... just dont go adding any chips to the ECU or the AIT sensor or get an already turbo toyota motor like a 2JZ GTE or a 7M GTE both came out of the toyota supra the are the same size motor in your car now 3.0L inline 6

the 3.0 in a 4 runner is a v 6,i have a 95,not to much you can do as for bolt ons.

325

I wouldnt do too much to it. if you put on a turbo or supercharger you run the chance of blowing the headgasket. that motor already has problems with blowing the headgasket and adding more pressure wouldnt help it. if you have the latest generation gaskets in it they are pretty good and should last if you dont modify anything

105

if i were you i wouldn't do anything to serious (like throw on a supercharger anything). it's an old car, so you risk blownin somethin by addin all that stress to an already old engine. it'd be like tryin to become a body builder when you're 80 years old - there's just some things ya shouldn't do... but, you could always go with a nice Cold air intake, cat-back exhaust system, performance chip, etc - something not to ridiculous. since it is an older engine, i would also recommend gettin new spark plugs and wires, that should definately tune up that engine a bit

145

If you want fast cheep power just take off your exhaust at the headers and get some spark arrestsers from a dirt bike shop. It will be loud, faster and lighter.

20

i have a 1990 Toyota 4runner 6 cyl. the muffler fell off! if I was to tack weld it back on or replace it would I get better gas mileage??? right now about $65 to $75 fills the tank up!!

10

all of you are morons. All you have to do is change the gear ratio and open up the exhaust. If you really want your yota to move right down the road you can put a chevy v8 in it or you can shave the head down revalve the heads and put supercharge it with nos. it will move then.

40

Morrons is right. After head gaskets replacement with the new version and crossover pipe elimination, Cap ofl the manifold on the driver side crossover pipe flange and reroute the passenger side manifold exhaust pipe to go under the tranny and weld to exhaust pipe before the o2 sensor and you'll then notice significant power gain; thus less heat on the head gaskets and better engine breathing conditions and needless to say is that eliminating the OEM filter and air box to replace it with a straight through cold air intake cone filter right before the AFM highly contributes to better breathing and throttle response. If not yet satisfied and thirsty for more ponies then get a passenger side manifold to replace the driver side and turbo your 3.Go to best performance and more satisfaction. It has been done.

30

*sigh* morons huh.. must live in a house without mirrors. the 3.0 really isn't a good engine to invest in. Swapping out chevy or ford engines would brand you a low-iq redneck. the most common engine swap is for the later 3.4l toyota pickup and 4runner engine, due to the massive power, fuel economy and reliability gains. Personally I'd go for something a little flashier, like a Lexus V8.. but that's me trying to stay in the toyota family. I'd recommend the switch to the 3.4l and go from there. There's a TON of info on that swap via google. Cheers and GL

20

I rebuilt my 3.0 had the heads resurfaced .010 values lapped, new pistons,rings and such. Put a air intake tube with a high flow cat and it out runs my brothes 3.4l Tacoma. I really don't know why everyone raves about a 3.4. Possibly his Tacoma is just wore out. Outside if the stupid crossover exhaust the 3.0 is not that bad, stout block and crank. I have an 88 4runner and it is way faster than my best friends 2.2 re 86 4runner. I am a Chevy guy and built engine for a long time. So I am here to help and answer questions if I can. Just myJust my personal opinion it's way easier and cheaper to swap a small block chevy or 4.3 chevy. Way better power and fuel efficiency over a 3.4 engine. As long as you are driving moderate ly. I know hard at first.

Ok I have same engine 3.0 l the 3vze engine I would like a little more power or torch but first i have a knocking noise as I am on the go. It sounds like it needs oil but it doesn't. Dip stick reads fine Mo over heating nothing like that what do I do with that and what do I do to upgrade and it would have to be one thing at a time what do I do first i still want fair gas mileage

15

How is the oil pressure at hot idle?Does it knock under load i.e. starting out? Or does it knock under light acceleration when driving?

20

From what I've read oil pressure can be as low as 5 psi at idle. I do not have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge. The stock gauge on the dash is at 1/4 at hot idle. No knocking/pinging. Runs great I am really happy I have the v6 and not the 4 cylinder.

20

Yesterday I logged 16.8 mpg , my 4runner is lifted now with 33 mud terrians, best upgrade 4:88s. I am on a budget so I searched Craigslist and found a 93 4runner with stock 4:88 scored the front and rear for $275.