My 1987 Suzuki Samurai (103,000 miles) shimmies in front end between about 55 mph and 65 mph. It then stops above that speed. Mechanic says it is a standard problem with these hi mileage cars and can't readily be fixed. I question this... Any thoughts? thanks, Gary

5

Asked by Jan 08, 2015 at 06:40 AM about the 1990 Suzuki Samurai 2 Dr JL 4WD Convertible

Car is always maintained but this started happening about 3000 miles ago. I thought it
was front wheels out of balance but this is not the case. Front end alignment is
supposedly fine. The car is in Spain, my mechanic is great, but probably not too familiar
with my Suzuki. The year is a 1987, although below I could only enter 1990.

257,375

Could be a defect in the tires themselves, try swapping tires front to rear. Loose ball joints or tie-rod ends, how are the shocks mounts?

257,375

How are the rotors? I've seen warped rotors sometimes cause a slight shimmy at highway speed. Do you get the shimmy when you brake hard?