HI, Trying to remove rear offside hub on my 2003 Suzuki G V 4X4, but something is stopping it cuming clear ,need some good advice here..?

Asked by Feb 16, 2016 at 09:10 AM about the 2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4WD SUV

Trying to replace the break shoes , but can't get hub off,it seems to be caught on one side..? the hub is loose but just wont come clear..?

81,845

The break shoe's are caught up on the groove worn into the hub, (drum) Make sure e-break is fully released. Most the time I can just twist them off but sometimes still get hung up on the ridge in the drum. At that point you have to figure out how to move the star adjuster inside to back off the shoe's. There should be a small oval tab to punch out on the bottom of the backing plate to gain access. Easier to do if you have worked the drum off somewhat, but the shoe's would have to be backed off if you can't twist (rotate) the drums off.

Thank's Rowefast, will try your idea and let you know how it turns out, weather has closed in on me here ,don't have a garage to work out of so may take some time to get back on it..! Regards Tommyboy.

81,845

It can be a struggle to get those drums off, its just the shoes hanging up on the ridge of the drum. I wouldn't worry about breaking anything since it is this bad when you are at this point, should put in a new spring kit anyway. Make sure and clean up the adjusters good, lube up the threads and the "C" cap sort end on the adjuster so everything spins freely. Check the wheel cylinders also for leaks, they may leak after assembly since I'm sure the pistons are extended out max. so when pushing them in to seat the top of the shoes may cause them to leak. Up to you if you want to replace, but just keep an eye on them.

Hi Rowefast, got the damm thing off this morning thanks for your advice,going to renew brake cylinder as well as the shoes,however when I removed the drum, everything just seemed to fall out, springs,plates and break shoe and a retaining clip,"#*@~#" sake, now I will have to try and find a drawing to show me how to re-assemble it all, I will never try this again..! T.

81,845

Well when you've done them they all are basically the same. Look on you tube, and when they show a shot of the hole works, just pause it so you can study it.

Thanks again Rowefast, your advice has been excelent, would never got this far without it, wish you all the best ,take care my friend..! Regards Tommy B.

81,845

Your most welcome...