Road Hum

Asked by Aug 30, 2011 at 11:58 AM about the 1993 Subaru SVX 2 Dr 25th Anniversary AWD Coupe

I have a hum (that seems to be coming from the left rear)  -- it starts around 45 MPH and quits at around 65 MPH  --  I took it to a Belle Tire store to see what they could tell me  --  the sales person checked my tires and pointed out that the two front tires match  but the back ones are each different.  Now the sizes etc. are all the same but the manufacturers and the treads are different.  He tells me this is not good for an all wheel drive car and that it's probably the cause of my HUM -- I'd just bought the car the prior week and all of the tires are in good shape -- I'd just missed the fact that I have 3 different tire treads patterns --  I'll go shopping for some new tires but my question is: How important is it for all of the tread to be the same for an all wheel drive car?

Thank you for any help / information.

Dan

10

It is ESSENTIAL for all the tires to not only match in brand but also in tread/size on AWD or you run a high risk of ruining the system. Also, SVX are notorious for rear wheel bearing issues so... if the droning does not go away after you get new tires, look at your rear wheel bearings next. Best of luck!

Hello Mark and thank you for the reply. I'd gone to a GM dealership and heard similar about the importance of matching tires yesterday. I've only owned the car 2 weeks and the damage to the rear wheel bearing may already have been done before I purchased it. I'll start with tires. Thanks again for your reply.