Why my ac still not working?

Asked by Jul 19, 2017 at 10:28 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet Impala LT

I replaced my compressor, my condenser, my
expansion valve, all after I discharged the a/c
system at a professional shop. So after I replaced
those parts I recharged the system myself with the
a/c pro from auto zone, and still no cold air,
compressor not engaged. ( note my compressor
came with oil inside already when I ordered the
part) so what do I do now?? I live inland of
southern California. It's very hot here plz give me
some pointers

80,035

Check the pressure switch and make sure you charged it correctly. Check the compressor fuse too.

102,385

Good thing it didn't catch, you could have blow the side right out of the compressor, read the instructions, you need to drain out the oil in the compressor and measure it, each componet has an oil capacity, so you find out how much oil the compressor takes and the condenser, and you should have also replaced the receiver dryer tank also, then pull a vacuum on the system and see if it holds it and that also get any moisture that maybe still in the system, then add the oil that was measured out for all the componets you have repalced, I usually split the oil between the high side and the low, then reapply more vacuum for about 15 to 20 minutes, then again make sure it holds the vacuum, if it passes then add the 134A to the system until the low and high pressures read the same before starting the engine, then start it and turn on the A/C and charge it to specified pressures depending on your current outside temps. Providing everything else is in working order than should be it.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Mabey that's why car was running hot when I had the ac on...I thought that the compressor with the oil already in it i didn't have to do anything except install, and where do I add the oil in the condenser,? is that the reason It was running hot? Clearly this was my first time, so should I take this to a professional now?

And how do u test the pressure switch??

102,385

If it was running hot with the A/C on you have an air flow problem, either th fan is not operating properly or something is blocking the air flow through the the condenser and radiator. The oil you add to the system that was measured out with each componet you replaced will contain enough for the condenser. If you get too much oil in the system you will not be able to get the pressures correct. The best way to test the pressure switch is with the system fully charged see when the switch cycles the compressor, if it doesn't cycle the switch is bad, some vehicle require that the cycling switch be jumpered to start the system recharging cycle, but then reconnected after the low pressure reaches a round 20 to 25 lbs on the low side and complete the recharge. This job does sound like it overwhelmed you so unless your comfortable with removing the compressor and redoing your work then take it to an A/C shop, they will have the equipment to most likely get most of the oil out without tearing it down, make sure you tell them what you did and how much oil you did or didn't add to the system, and what componets you already repalced, they still may want to do a system flush just to make sure the system doesn't have and metal particulates still floating around. ohh and they will want to replace the receiver dryer unit, I'm surprised the place that sold you the compressor didn't tell you that not replacing the dryer will void the warranty on the compressor.

102,385

Thanks for the best answer points, hope you found a good A/C shop to help you get it operational again.