What stop leak is best for a head gasket leak ?

Asked by Nov 02, 2012 at 11:13 AM about the 2002 Subaru Outback Base Wagon

I have a small water leak internal on the engine which I can smell after exiting the car.
There's a few products that claim permanent repairs. Are they any good. Some are $40 and guarantee results. What say you, schould I give them a try ?

I personally do not like anything that is "fix it in a can"...maybe it will work but I would never put the crap in an engine of mine. Opinion only here of course.

I agree with DavidH25. I have used them tho. That was a big mistake. Stopped up heater core, thermostat and small throttle body heater hoses. Took forever to get it all cleaned out. I do not recommend using any of these products.

dandyoun: Exactly why I said that and even if you end up putting a head gasket or whatever will fix that internal leak, everything else gets gummed up

most mechanics half ass it, to sell the car, GM had the HUGE problem with the North star to where they made GM head gasket specific "Blue Devil" (theirs being aluminum heads aluminum block bolts not long enough), Subaru doesn't have such a thing, universal is universal, you say a small water leak....was this diagnosed? if so intake or exhaust side, as most sealers will work for one not the other....

Ended up tearing mine completely down to get all the gum out. But even with all that time and work there is almost no way to be sure it is all gone. I learned a hard lesson with using these products. But some good did come out of it. Since I was pulling the heads went with all new valves, lifters, valve guide seals and all new gaskets. Now sons car should last awhile longer. Flushed radiator and heater core out but I am sure that there is still some in them. Will replace them when issues arise. Again I agree with DavidH25.

Don't do it! Fix it the right way

When an engine has 200,000 plus and it is not worth a complete rebuild or even the time and expense of a head gasket, Bars leak or the aluminum powder type is worth a try. In my experience a clogged heater is usually the result of using to much stop leak. I know of several examples of glogging after the second treatment. If the vehicle is worthy to be kept for a while then fix what is broken. If one treatment fails to work it means the pressure is to much to fix the leak . Like trying to plug a truck tire. 110 lbs. or more will blow the plug right out of the hole. (however truckers, a big enough knot in the plug may hold)

elliott.s gasket fix is the one to go with as i have tried them all and i have never had a problem with the elliotts gasket fix. the others do work but elliott's is the front runner for me.

your best bet is to replace the head gasket. if you cannot afford it, there is a product that I have used with success (it has held for 7 months so far). I don't think you can get in stores yet, but you can order it from their website at http://www.bearsleak.com