2001 Outback overheating, again

40

Asked by Feb 23, 2015 at 11:20 AM about the 2001 Subaru Outback Limited Wagon

Hello my outback started over-heating over a year ago. The mechanic replaced the
thermostat, the water pump, and head gasket- one year later it is overheating again-
different mechanic replaced the radiator and hoses, flushed it. That was a month ago now
it is overheating again. Help!

130

Mine is doing the same thing,,,,last thing to try is therosate and radiator cap! That's what I'm getting done today, hope it fixes it

Have a competent mechanic check the head gaskets. They are a known issue on the Subaru 4-cylinder engines from that era. I had to replace them on my 2001 Forester.

40

Thanks, I have replaced head gaskets, twice, plus radiator and thermostat already, along with radiator and water pump. What else could it be?

130

I did have the heads replaced, water pump, etc, last summer

40

Good luck Kathii444! Let me know if that does the trick!

130

I think I missed something???? If what does the trick????

21,105

How many miles are on your car, I hope it's not the water jackets, if so, you're in deep trouble. I see that you've done the radiator, water pump, thermostat a year ago, did they use factory specified parts. I assume you still have confidence in your mechanic?

130

I didn't do radiator, just heads, water pump timing belt, but not radiator.....I got word that it might be therosate.....Keeping my fingers crossed that it's just therosate....Wish me luck!!!!

21,105

Install a "brand new " radiator and thermostat , that will solve your problem. Your car is a 2001 and 14 years old, the fins and copper tubing are probably clogged like bad arteries. You don't want to over heat your car and risk a head gasket failure again. Cheap insurance, you'll thank me for raising this issue.

130

Thanks....The funny thing is the car never actually over heated, no steam coming out the engine or anything like that, just the needle going to hot....When I drove it on the highway for a good 20 minutes to the mechanic I had the heat on high and the needle never went up....The heat was good and hot all the way there except for 5 seconds it felt like cool air coming out then it went to hot air again...When I got to the garage and parked the car I didn't see anything steaming or anything....

21,105

Kathi, one of my prior cars was a 1995 Honda Accord, left home and within 3 miles the needle jumped towards the "red" zone. You really don't want to take a chance with this, honestly, your car's circulatory system is at risk when the temperature gauge or warning lights flash or come on. If your car is in good shape and you maintain your car, it will serve you better. How many miles are on your car? It's also a matter of age. I think my Honda Accord radiator failed around 15 years, so, that's another reason I brought this up for you to consider.

130

14 years old....I'm still waiting to hear back. From my mechanic....There very busy there but I hope to hear something today...

40

Mark-a new radiator was installed-thermo was not new I don't think. I did find this info online...a bit discouraging. I may sell my car I don't want to continue having problems! http://www.sueeasy.com/class_action_detail.php?case_id=341

21,105

Good luck, I'm sure they'll recommend replacement of the radiator. My only suggestion for you is get a brand new Subaru part, you'll be a lot better off than an after market unit. Sometimes you can get away with after market parts, this is not one of the times to try and save a few bucks.

21,105

How many miles on your Limited? I have 70,000 on my 2010.

10

Hi... I know this is an old thread but hoping you will get this msg. I have 2000 outback doing exact same thing did you wver get it figured out?

10

i have a 2000 Outback with 146K ........... if i drive with the AC on the temp gauge is fine, once i hit a bit of stop & go, the needle rises to the line below red. Radiator checked and no leaks ............ what next ?

21,105

Well, well, well.... overheating AGAIN? - the title of this thread. Maybe, LCMac99, this is NOT your situation a second time... BUT, once again. I'd like to remind people that there's a time and place for everything and it's definitely NOT A PRUDENT thing to be "pennywise and pound foolish" when it comes to taking care of your car especially the cooling system....IF the engine overheats, it can blowout the head gaskets, warp the entire head, and much more....SO, contrary to Mr. Boston, I recommend that you replace the water pump, coolant, thermostat, and radiator every 100,000 miles... Why...? Sooner or later you're going to have a problem..so, think of it this way..it's going to happen... wouldn't you rather be proactive and do it at your convenience or be disabled waiting for the AAA.?? Your choice?

74,245

LCMac99 - - check your cooling fans to see it they are working. Also check the coolant level. You may also want to flush the system and install new coolant and "burp" the system.