Asked by Jun 04, 2017 at 06:43 PM about the 2001 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition Wagon

My 2001 subaru outback tern off as i was driven i
stop at stop sine and it just shut down y

Is the check engine light on? Have the codes read and post them here.

Yes but its for the o2

Erase and reset. Report results and new CEL. If front O2 then you need a new "fuel/air" sensor O2, which is the expensive one.

I think i need new timeing belt

Hmmm.... Loosen left upper cover and pry open. If belt snapped you'll see that easily. If tensioner charge is lost then belt will be very floppy and should not be driven. If t-belt is ok car should start and idle quietly. This is an easy, quick, cheap test. Note that if you DID snap an old (16 years!) belt, there's a good chance you bent a valve or two, so do NOT spend $400-500 for a t-belt job and then have to throw the motor away anyway. This chariot's aged out....

Nelsonmontero-. Is this car a SIX cylinder engine??

Yes it its.

There's no timing belt on the H6's a timing chain..

There's lots of things that can cause your car to stall out.... When was the last time you had your car serviced professionally?

How long have you personally owned the 2001. ?

It's an older car... BUT, it really depends on how well it's been maintained...I wouldn't just necessarily think it's ready for the junkyard.. maybe it is.. OR,. maybe you can retire this to be your "city car" for local service... While you might not want to take this 2001 on a trip out of town, it might be fine just around the city... There's always the AAA to rescue you... And, if it's​ just a few hundred dollars, that's cheap.. compared to getting a replacement vehicle.

Didn't catch it's an H6. Ignore cam timing remarks. Yet the pic seems to show bleeding. What's up? Grasshopper, city use is generally more stressful on an older vehicle than constant highway running. Try to understand that cold starts and intermittent service wear out industrial automobiles. Plus we don't need a surfeit of dying clunkers clogging city streets, eh? You should know better....

Ernie, yes, I know that you're right about city driving being more stressful on cars (and people)....LA again has the dubious distinction of being NUMBER ONE for traffic congestion.. and it's worse more now than ever... 40 years ago, you could predict morning or afternoon traffic with a respite from 10 AM to 2 PM, that four hour window has all but disappeared making traffic conditions horrible just about any time of day, 24/7... There's no predicted time anymore, traffic conditions are unpredictable.. I expect traffic all the time..when it doesn't occur, it's a pleasant surprise. Thankfully, we live near a major transit hub, but, the bus doesn't take you everywhere.... Remember, LA is 480 square's absolutely essential to have a "city car". I don't drive "clunkers".. but, once in a while, maybe every five years or so, yeah, I've had to call AAA roadside assistance for something.. I haven't had to call them for a long time for a disabled mechanical failure... BUT, yes, we still need a "city car".. My Toyota Prius is perfect for that... Yeah, it has the stop start technology that you have been so critical of, yet, my mechanic tells me that the Toyota will definitely outlast the Subaru Outback hands down for service in every situation, city or highway.... And it gets better than 45 MPG... Perhaps you still disagree with that?? I have three vehicles and they're used for very different purposes so I put the highway miles on the right one. As a matter of fact, the last 10 years of my working career, I took public transportation to the office to help reduce traffic congestion, so, I'm very aware of clogged city streets... It's not the greatest feature of LA.. I'd rather be out on the open road...

Decaf, Grasshopper...decaf.

It was fuel pump

Nelsonmontero- YES, as I said earlier, use it as your "city car".

Ignore Grasshopper's misguided advice.